General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Accord motor shaking and wont stay running

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 11:50 AM
Default 1997 Accord motor shaking and wont stay running

Hi, I bought a 97 accord new body style 4cy vtec with 175k miles and the radiator was leaking and the ac compressor was bad and the battery was bad. The car had been sitting for about a year maybe longer. I bought a radiator new from ebay, bought a used compressor and bought a battery. Put the batttery in it put coolant in radiator and drove it to a shop. The car ran fine. The shop put it the radiator and ac compressor and I drove the car about 30-40 miles and it drove fine. The next day I started it and after a few minutes it started to rattle and shake and sputter...motor was shaking like crazy and the check engine light came on. I was able to make it to autozone to check the codes. (Troubleshooting P0108, aa1-open or short circuit condition, aa2-poor electrical connection, aa3-faulty map sensor)
I replaced the map sensor and didnt change anything. Now I turn it on and it shakes just dies after 10-20 seconds.
It also looks like the drivers side fan is new, the person i bought it from I guess did that when he thought the car was overheating but it was the radiator that was the problem. I know the guy i bought it from pretty well and he says the car ran fine when he stopped it due to the radiator leak.

Please let me know what you guys think.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

P0108 is an electrical fault in the MAP circuit; sensor, wiring, connector, or ECM.

Check wiring at the ECM/Harness connector for this sensor and if wiring checks good, the ECM is the problem. I've had two ECM failures on my 94 EX.

Check ebay and car-part.com for used ECM's. Get exact part number for best results.

good luck

Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 PM

The car was parked for a year, it ran fine other then the radiator leak and bad ac compressor. You think it could be the bad old gas or maybe a dirty throttle body? I checked the sensor with my meter and the the full test on it and it cheked out good so its not the sensor...plus I bought 2 sensors already and tried them as well and nothing. I'm just trying to see if it could be something alittle more simple then ecm.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

I guess I would try to get the stale fuel out of there, just to rule out that possibility, before I got a new ECM. But a junkyard ECM isn't hugely expensive either.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:58 PM

Yeah it had a half tank of old gas and I added a couple of fuel cleaners to it and put in 93 octane to fill the rest. ran that all the way out and put pure 93 in today and still the same problem. Cant hardly keep it running now, have to put it in neutral at red lights to rev up engine so it does not die.
Rough idle, ‘Rotten egg’ smell coming from the exhaust,
Won't pass the state mandated emissions test, Lack of power, rough idle, hesitation, engine cranks a long time before starting.