General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Accord Power surge and headlights burning out and stereo issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Question 1997 Accord Power surge and headlights burning out and stereo issues

My girlfriend has a 1997 Honda Accord LX 2.7. Recently, the headlights were getting brighter and the fan would blow heavily when she accelerated. The stereo began to blink on and off, the headlights all burned out, and now the battery is dead. I replaced all of the headlights a week ago and within 3 days, all four had burnt out again or simply won't come on. We jumped it today and while she was accelerating, I heard a very high pitched squeal. The belts seem to be tight and fairly new.There is also an issue with the ABS modulater being broken, but I think it's a separate issue. Could it be the alternator? ELM? Bad belt? All advice is welcome as I can't afford to keep replacing bulbs every few days and must do the work myself so to avoid an arm and a leg. Please help.
Thank you.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Something is not right with the alternator or the regulation of alternator voltage. A bad belt would not cause this problem.

Does the check engine light turn on while driving? Or the battery light?

Most parts stores will check the alternator for free. If you have a volt meter, you can test the battery voltage when the engine is not running vs running.

The parts stores will also scan for codes (if your check engine light is turning on while driving). Your connector is behind the ash tray.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 PM

The check engine light is on. We took it to a Firestone and they diagnosed the ABS, but couldn't work on it. There was also an issue of overheating that we seem to have solved by replacing the radiator cap. The car has not been maintained while owned by her and I'm trying to rectify that. I will check alternator and post back. Thanks for the quick response and affirmation of my thoughts.

Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

If the check engine light is on, then you should have an engine code (not an ABS code). You can check for codes on this car the OBD1 way. In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to checking engine codes.

Your 97 accord has the two pin connector under the glove box that you can use. All you need is a piece of wire or a paperclip to check the code(s).

The code reader connector is behind the ash try and can give more detailed codes. You need a code reader to do this.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

If you go someplace like AutoZone to have them read error codes, make sure you get the actual code number. Not just the guy's description.