General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Accord Shifting Problems...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 05:01 PM
Default 1997 Accord Shifting Problems...

Have something strange happening. My car has been running great. Clutch was replaced with a brand new one 4 months ago. This past weekend my friend replaced my leaking clutch slave cylinder mounted on top of the transmission with a new one. We bled it and everything seemed fine.

Now, my pedal, feels really stiff and the gears are grinding when I press all the way down (I actually have to push the pedal only half way to get a smooth shift!!!) and the clutch is winding out before engaging into gear...basically I am giving gas, letting off the clutch and it takes a bit to get rolling???? Oh, and also when I push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor I can feel it like "whining out" and I can feel it in my foot. That is not normal for sure.

My question is: What the hell happened???? Why would all this result from changing a slave cylinder??? Is there an adjustment that my friend missed on doing. Could my new clutch be going bad already?

Any help appreciated cause I am ready to grow grey hair(s) here...very bummed when you do something good for the car and then something else bad comes of it.

peace out,
daddy

Old 07-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Super Moderator

Did the problem start after replacement of the slave cylinder? Was the slave cylinder a new one, or remanufactured? Was it a Honda one or an aftermarket?

Old 07-15-2011, 05:39 PM

Yes...problem started after installing the slave cylinder. Re-manufactured from O'Reily's Auto Parts...aftermarket. Cost like $12.00. Why would that make a difference (I am not a mechanic BTW) ???

peace out,
daddy

Old 07-15-2011, 05:45 PM
Almost A Senior Member

That isn't normal at all. It sounds like the slave cylinder isn't allowing the clutch to completely engage the flywheel. I would replace the cylinder with a brand new factory Honda part...right away before you burn up the clutch or score up the flywheel.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

You could have gotten a bad slave cylinder out of the box. I would return the new to O'Reillys and get another one, then install it. I had a remanufactured on fail about a year after installation.

The honda part is pretty expensive ($75 at the dealership, or $56 + shipping from online places). I think Adler made the OEM Honda master cylinder, so the probably made the slave cylinder too, if you decide to buy a new one.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You could have gotten a bad slave cylinder out of the box. I would return the new to O'Reillys and get another one, then install it. I had a remanufactured on fail about a year after installation.

The honda part is pretty expensive ($75 at the dealership, or $56 + shipping from online places). I think Adler made the OEM Honda master cylinder, so the probably made the slave cylinder too, if you decide to buy a new one.
Bad as in meaning how??? That is where I am misunderstanding. I have pressure on my pedal...almost too much pressure and like I said to shift without grinding I have to back the pedal off half way (as opposed to normally pushing it all the way to the floor)...I mean it seems like such a simple part but maybe someone could explain the mechanics of it that would fail but yet still allow pressure??? I have just found out from my friend who installed it there is no adjustment on those at all. They should be good to go right out of the box so he is kinda perplexed as well. The only thing he said he could think of is that it is getting stuck and not returning properly but he lives in another town and won't be able to look at it until next week.

Thanks for your time guys...appreciated as always ;-)

peace out,
daddy

Old 07-15-2011, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

A rebuilt part gets a new spring and new seals. If the part of the slave that pushes on the shift fork is getting stuck, then that could be you problem. Installing a slave cylinder is a pretty easy DIY.

Search c-m5F0zEvyo on YouTube. It is a video on the replacement of the master and slave. Then how to bleed the system.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
A rebuilt part gets a new spring and new seals. If the part of the slave that pushes on the shift fork is getting stuck, then that could be you problem. Installing a slave cylinder is a pretty easy DIY.

Search c-m5F0zEvyo on YouTube. It is a video on the replacement of the master and slave. Then how to bleed the system.
Thanks PAHonda!!! The getting stuck thing makes sense to me. I can't imagine burning through a new clutch in 4 months the way I drive (like an old man!!! LOL). Yes, I do know replacing them is pretty simple for I use to replace them on my old preludes but I am disabled now and can't do any work like that so I am just a watch and pay person now!!! LOL I did notice when my friend worked on it it was pretty cramped quarters on getting the mounting bolts off!!! Your hand can only be so big to fit down there and his hand was big ;-) I will post to the thread when it get's solved.

Thanks again

peace out,
daddy

Old 07-21-2011, 06:06 PM

Ok new symptoms. The problem goes away after you let the car cool down for a bit. BUT, after you drive it for a while and it heats up (especially here in California) that is when it starts. Today I barely made it home...high RPM's and the clutch barely engaging in ALL gears...I could have pedaled a bicycle faster on the way home not to mention it was rather embarrassing in traffic. I still can't believe it is a bad clutch because it is less then a year old and this only started after I had my slave cylinder replaced. I have a guy coming over tonight to watch and see if the slave is sticking but I can't imagine that being the problem.

Any ideas with these new symptoms????

Thanks again

peace out,
daddy

Old 07-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Have you replace the recently installed slave cylinder?

Quick Reply: 1997 Accord Shifting Problems...