General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 power window relay

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:07 AM
Default 1997 power window relay

Been awhile since I've been on, I have a 1997 Accord and having problem with power window. None of them works. I checked fuse underhood and that checks out good. There is also a fuse by the drivers kick panel marked p/w but do not get power with key on or off. Pulled switch on door and have power up to the switch. I did test the switch to include on and off and that is good as well.

Is there a relay hidden somewhere and maybe someone has pics of location.

Any help greatly appreciated

Last edited by Rcruz; 05-03-2012 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:57 AM

Hi there,
I have the 99 EX 4cyl which I believe is similar and underneath the passenger side there is a power window relay. You are going to have to remove the kick panel on the passenger side in order to get to it. You may have to remove some additional stuff to be able to really see it. I would definitely disconnect the negative battery terminal before working in this area due to the airbag being in close proximity. There are 3 relays and one of them is for the power windows. I hope this info helps.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Rcruz
Been awhile since I've been on, I have a 1998 Accord and having problem with power window. None of them works. I checked fuse underhood and that checks out good. There is also a fuse by the drivers kick panel marked p/w but do not get power with key on or off. Pulled switch on door and have power up to the switch. I did test the switch to include on and off and that is good as well.

Is there a relay hidden somewhere and maybe someone has pics of location.

Any help greatly appreciated
So you have no power to the 7.5 amp fuse on the drivers side (#9)? If this is true you would have more than a window issue. Double check.

The 98 do have a reset for the multiplex, have you tried this?

Attached Thumbnails 1997 power window relay-6th-gen-drivers-fuse-loc.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 10:45 AM

On my fuse panel its # 5 it reads P/W relay but its a 10 amp fuse.

Windows are the only issue I am having.

Where is the multiples reset located?

Thanks

There is 3 relays above the fuse panel on drivers side but do not have fuse cover to tell me which is which. I will look on passenger side kick panel.

Battery already disconected as I,m also doing timing belt and water pump.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

There is 3 relays above the fuse panel on drivers side but do not have fuse cover to tell me which is which. I will look on passenger side kick panel.
I'm confused, relay or fuse...yet you don't have the panel? I posted a pic of the fuse panel numbers I was ref.

Anyway, the 98's and a few others have a "wake up" for the mulitplex.

Once you are done with the other work try this.

1. turn the ignition switch off
2. turn the wiper intermittent time ring to the middle position.
3. turn the ignition switch to on.
4. check the operation of all the power windows from the master
power window swtch and the power door locks.

Again this is a start. We can get into more details from here.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:02 AM

My mistake its a 1997 not 98 typo error and I have the bottom half of the fuse panel that show #5 10 amp p/w relay and its really a 10 amp fuse. I did find the relay under hood passenger side and switched relay with cooling fan which is the same and no change Just completed all other work and will try your advise with the wiper switch

Old 05-03-2012, 03:48 PM

I did try the wiper switch as suggested, wiper delay works fine but no change to the windows

Old 05-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I did try the wiper switch as suggested, wiper delay works fine but no change to the windows
that is because that procedure is for 98+

You should edit your first post to reflect the correct year you have plus you should put your car info in your signature.

Old 05-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

For your 97, attached is a troubleshooting diagram for items to check. The power window relay is located in the underhood fuse/relay box. You can swap the radiator fan relay for the power window relay to test (they are the same part); but, put back the radiator fan relay afterward so your car doesn't overheat during driving.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 power window relay-power-window-troubleshooting.jpg   1997 power window relay-power-window-relay.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Number 5 (7.5A) fuse is for the power mirror. Number 10 (10A) fuse is for the power window relay.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 power window relay-interior-fuse.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1997 power window relay