General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord: Disreputable Auto Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

The TPS wires should be green/black, red/black, and yellow/blue. The second color is the color of the stripe. The MAP sensor should be yellow/red, green/white, and red/green.

It was possible to switch those connectors on the 94-97 accords, because the connectors were identical. Just verify you didn't switch the connectors when reinstalling everything.

Old 03-22-2017, 05:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

The connectors are on the right sensors. I'm going to attempt to read out the TPS after work today, just wondering if this would be the cause of not shifting up to higher gears. I haven't read anything that failure of this sensor would cause my issue, but obvious need to fix it.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

First off I want to thank everyone that provided input for helping me troubleshoot my problems. I haven't put a code reader back on to see if I have any codes but took the car out and she is finally shifting smooth through all gears, drives nice and straight and is quiet. It needs a state inspection and I need to have front end alignment due to replacing the rack and Pinnion, tie rods and ball joints. I can now relax and move on to my next project. I think taking the transmission solenoids out and testing/cleaning them and disconnecting and cleaning most of the electrical connectors and cleaning battery grounds definitely fixed my problem. So again a Big Thanks to all!

Old 03-22-2017, 10:43 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by stevenstrack
First off I want to thank everyone that provided input for helping me troubleshoot my problems. I haven't put a code reader back on to see if I have any codes but took the car out and she is finally shifting smooth through all gears, drives nice and straight and is quiet. It needs a state inspection and I need to have front end alignment due to replacing the rack and Pinnion, tie rods and ball joints. I can now relax and move on to my next project. I think taking the transmission solenoids out and testing/cleaning them and disconnecting and cleaning most of the electrical connectors and cleaning battery grounds definitely fixed my problem. So again a Big Thanks to all!
Congrats. We like to hear stories about success. I think a lot of the issues you had were directly related to the flood. Although cleaning and testing the solenoids probably helped the trans the most (common failure item). I hope the rest of your project goes smoothly.