General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 accord LX keeps blowing stop brake fuse

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Default 1998 accord LX keeps blowing stop brake fuse

at first, the stop fuse was blowing intermittently, once every 2 to 3 weeks. now it is permanent. it is blowing while installing it. now there is 12 volt on the fuse connectors. I removed the front bumper disconnected both horns, same issue. disconnected the wires from brake pedal, same issue. disconnected brake lights same issue. disconnected the horn relay, now it does not blow. I tried different relay, it blows. it stops blowing when I remove the horn relay. where is the short? I might be able to track if I had the shop manual for 1998 Honda accord LX.

Last edited by puelent; 10-25-2013 at 02:14 PM. Reason: mistyped word
Old 10-25-2013, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

When you remove the horn relay, does everything else work, with the exception of the horns?

Old 10-25-2013, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator

If things like brake light, key interlock, ABS control work with the horn relay removed and fuse in; but, fuse blows with horn relay installed, the short may be at:

• Steering wheel horn switch wiring or connector
  • Steering wheel cruise control set/resume/cancel switch wiring or connector
  • Steering wheel cable reel wiring or connectors
  • Under-hood fuse/relay box (less likely though)
  • Security system wiring or connector (if you have the optional Honda security system) - connector would be a 4-P grey connector located under the driver's dash board lower cover

Old 11-03-2013, 05:59 PM

thank you. you responded very quickly. yes, everything else works when I remove the horn relay with exception of horn. in this model, there is no abs and security option installed.
today, I followed your advice. I removed the fuse, put the horn relay back. I placed the voltmeter on the stop fuse connectors. of course there is permanent 12v. I put the lcd display of voltmeter inside so I can watch while if voltage changes or goes to 0 volt. I started juggling wires and disconnecting wire connectors under the steering wheel neighborhood. still 12v or short. I moved up and disconnected cruise control. same issue. disconnected another connector from steering wheel. same issue. I started to tap horn button or in the middle of steering wheel. now voltage changes. very slight touch, voltage goes to zero, hard touch it goes 12v which is normal. when I release the button it goes back to 12v which is not normal. I was not able to remove the plastic cover in the middle of steering wheel where you tap for horn. this started in the middle of very hot summer in florida. the car stays outside directly under the sun. I believe horn tap got stuck after some melting. if I can remove the plastic cover, I will be able to see what is wrong. thank you.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 PM

I removed the horns and check them for a short, I found one of them defective, I replaced both of them anyway and problem solved. No more brake light blown fuses and the horn works perfectly.