General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord belts

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Default 94 accord belts

I drive a 94 accord

What do you call the two visible belts that are on the driver side of the car??? (don't think either of them are the timing belt, they are smooth underneath, but not sure where timing belt is located either) Generally the belts that people at the shop usually say are cracking and need to be replaced.

Is it easy to change these belts out?

Old 05-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Default RE: 94 accord belts

Some people call them drive belts, some call them accessory belts, some call them alternator and power steering belts, etc..
They are fairly easy to change. Although I am not 100% sure whether or not you will need to take a motor mount loose to get one of the belts out - that is kind of a pain.
Check the DIY section for the downloadable manual for your car. There is one in there thatyou can get forfree for a 94 Accord.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM

They are the A/C / Alternator beltand P/S belt. The timing belt and balance belt are both underneath the black cover just behind those visible belts.

Normally, youreplace all 4 belts together.

Unless you are in a very arid region (like Arizona) where the temps exceed 100 degrees for several weeks in the Summer, all of the beltsshould be replaced at the same time.

This would be the t-belt, balance belt, and drive belts....I would also recommend replacing the waterpump, camshaft seal, balance shaft seal and installing a balance shaft seal retainer.

This should be performed on a '94 Accord every 90,000 miles or 7 years, according to Honda (except in extreme temps). Drive belt replacement is not normally required between t-belt replacementintervals.

Sincerely,
Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

Old 05-12-2008, 11:46 AM

^ good point.
How many miles on your Accord and when was the last time the timing belt was changed?
Many of these "do it all" shops will recommend unneeded belt replacements in an attempt to get you to spend more $ at their shop. the same places always say things like "the air filter needs to be replaced" even if it is clean. I was once sitting in a tire shop that does oil changes and I promise you I heard them tell every single customer that theyhad a dirty air filter that needed replacement. They told me mine was dirty, but I have a SRI so they couldn't offer to change mine LOL

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM

It has 121,000 miles on it....its over due for the timing belt. I plan on replacing it in august once I have all the money saved...i'm in college and poor....they said the belts needed to be replaced I looked they have some tiny cracks in them..but not too bad

they told me I needed a new radiator...i just got a new one in this past year.