General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1998 Honda accord 4cyl auto-Idles rough/ won't start sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM
Exclamation 1998 Honda accord 4cyl auto-Idles rough/ won't start sometimes

I bought this car a couple of weeks ago. It had 180,000 miles and when I bought it, it ran great. One day I drove it about 30 miles and went to several stores. I came out and each time I started it, it would idle rough for a few seconds and then run fine. It seemed like the more drove it the worse it got. I took it to a mechanic and he cleaned something out that's on the throttle body. He said that honda's have a problem with them clogging up. It seemed to work and in a day it started doing it again. Now it's getting worse. It seems like its when it gets warm and you let it cool for a few minutes. I drove it about 30 miles to Lowes(runs great), went in for 15 minutes and came out and I didn't think it would start. It finally did get it to start and I didn't turn it off until I got home. If you immediately start it after it running then it starts right up, it's when you let it sit for a few minutes that it really has trouble. Any ideas?

Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is this a fuel injected or carbuerator vehicle?

Hard starting on carbed vehicle can be choke problem, sticking closed and flooding engine. This will also cause rough idle.

On fuel injected, the idle air control valve (IACV) can cause rough idling but does not cause hard starts. Clean throttle body bore and plate thoroughly w/ throttle body cleaner.

good luck

PS: Need to wear my glasses more. I read 98 as 88. sorry

Last edited by TexasHonda; 10-10-2011 at 12:30 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Got a few, testing is going to be key...no one wants to throw parts ($'s) at an issue. Then I have to ask, how much of this are you willing to do?

First, I'm assuming that the engine is spinning over by the starter it just won't fire up and run.

Check for stored codes, some parts stores will do this for free (heck there is a trans shop that has radio ads that they do this for free-where I live). If any, get the actual code and the "guys" description. Should be a "P" and four digits.

When the situation is right, turn the key to on/pos II and watch the CEL and listen for the pump to prime. The light and pump should run for about 2~3 seconds and then stop. Does it?

Since you just got it, do you have any records of the last tune up? If not might inspect those items (cap, rotor, wires, plugs). Filters would be next (fuel, air).

This should be a good start, there are still more ideas but we would want to get these out of the way before going deeper.

Old 10-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

A leaky fuel injector might cause this. Run some cleaner stuff through the fuel tank. Chevron Techron or your favorite brand.

What happens is a puddle of fuel leaks from the injector & sits in the intake manifold. Then it's flooded & won't start. If you re-start immediately, it hasn't had time to leak out. If you leave it parked long enough, it evaporates.