General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord EX Tachometer Jumping ETC

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:03 PM
Default 1999 Accord EX Tachometer Jumping ETC

Hello to everyone,

OK so let me recap everything that has been happening...don't know if its all related. Randomly I would go to start my car after having been using it and the car would not start the engine would turn but nothing, them magically a minute later the car would crank up and happy go lucky. That happened twice in the last two weeks. Today I turned the AC on and it felt weak...I figured maybe the heat was very intense ( Florida weather ) but then I noticed the tachometer jumping from zero to 3000 while driving and if I even used the turn signal it would cause the tach to go crazy so I drove to the mechanic. Any ideas what could be wrong? Right before pulling in to the mechanic the car seemed like it didn't want to shift or something. Really strange considering the car ran great all weekend. Any ideas please let me know to compare with what mechanic says. It is an automatic 4 cylinder 2.3 vtec engine.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

I would probably start with the basics.

Scan for any engine codes.

Disconnect the battery, then clean all ends of both battery cables. Reconnect everything. Then have the battery, alternator, and starter tested.

Can you get the car to act up by shaking the key while the engine is running?

Old 10-25-2011, 10:53 AM

Hi PAhonda,

Mechanic ran some test and what came up wrong was the alternator and the battery had a bad cell. Luckily the battery ( Interstate ) was under warranty and was replaced for free. So far the car is running great this morning so I think that was it. Looking back at my records last time alternator was changed was in 2005. Thanks for your help. Have a great day.