General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1999 Accord Heater Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 09:03 AM
Default 1999 Accord Heater Problem

Greetings to all, First time posting, but I always check HAF if I have a problem and need information.

I have a 1999 Accord LX 4cyl 2.3L. My problem is there is no heat at all. I have search the General Help postings and found several threads for troubleshooting, but I need help. I will try and attache a picture of the control panel so you will know what I have.

The Fan speed control(Blower) is working and the Blower is working. The vents are changing positions. I have check under the hood. I have a top hose and a bottom hose. The Heater Valve IS NOT MOVING from what I can see.

The Self-diagnosis Function Indicates a problem in the "Air Mix Control Motor Circuit". My first question is, Where is the "Air Mix Control Motor" located? My Second question is, What controls the "Heater Valve cable"?

Thanks, in advance.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:51 AM
Super Moderator

The air mix control motor is under the passenger dash. There is a linkage on that motor that opens/closes the heater valve in the engine bay.

The error you for the air mix control motor can be the heater control panel, the wiring, the air mix control motor, or bound up blend door mechanism. Not sure how much testing you would want to do.

You can pull the motor and see if the blend door mechanism moves smoothly.

The actual testing procedure has you supply power and ground to certain pins on the motor and do some resistance tests on the motor. We can give you some details if you'd like.

Search google for 79160-S84-A01 to see what the motor looks like. It is expensive new from the dealer (~$175), so I'd recommend testing before possibly wasting money on an unnecessary part.

Old 11-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Hello PAhonda, Thank you for your reply. I will check under passenger dash for motor with a linkage. I want to try and fix this myself, might be hard for me to reach, bend ect. I will post back with more information.

Thank you

Old 11-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Used and rebuilt are available. See following link to ebay. May be other options in aftermarket parts; eg amazon or rockauto.

accord air mix motor | eBay

Also some folks have managed to open and repair the motor. Check froggy channel on youtube for a good video on repair of a Lexus air mix motor.

It is delicate work. I tried once and manage to drop a small worm gear which I could not find. I wound up buying a new part for over $100 for acura mdx.

good luck

Old 11-30-2016, 09:55 AM

Hello Texashonda, Thank you for your reply. I will check them for the parts. I have seen the video that you mention. FYI have have located the the air mix control motor, but it is hard for me to reach it. I have been real busy at work and will try it over the week end.

Thank you for your help