General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Accord LX No Start, No Crank

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2015, 04:25 PM
Unhappy 1999 Accord LX No Start, No Crank

Please help me out here. I have done the research and a lot of work and still can't get my 1999 Honda Accord LX 4cyl to start. So here is what I have done:
1. Replaced starter - checked starter signal at solenoid and it is good - voltage good at input and output sides of starter
2. Replaced Battery
3. Replaced Main Relay
4. Rotated engine with manual crank to ensure engine is not seized
5. Checked all fuses with a multimeter
6. Checked the ignition switch pin out and resistance
7. Charged battery and checked with tester - tested good, but replaced anyways
8. Used Valet and Black key

Here is what I get. Keys go into ignition and immobilzer light goes out. When turned to position III, lights go out on dash/radio cuts out and the starter solenoid kicks but the engine won't turn. Car did not come with any remotes. Does have factory alarm and a AM/FM/Cassette single DIN radio and is not asking for any kind of code. When the problem first happened we tried a jump start unsuccessfully and still having same symptoms for two weeks after all replacements and wire shooting.

I have noticed that the flashing red light for the alarm is not flashing. I checked and it says door and system switches triggered (1 flash followed by 3 flashes). Put black key in door to reset and no help. About to have it towed to dealer after dropping the $300 into it to get it running. Any help would be appreciated.

jd60fe

Old 02-26-2015, 09:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I feel for you, guy.

I bought a '93 Accord with alarm system, factory or not?. First issue was when I couldn't find the shut the frigging alarm off
nor find the button w/o my glasses. I threw the control away and disabled the unit in the car. Peace.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:39 AM

Try starting the car by jumping directly to the starter. I have posted how to do this serveral times on other threads. If it starts and runs fine then you have confirmed that it has to with the ignition system including possibly the immobilized unit. If if runs and you still can't find the problem at the very least you and drive it to a shop and save money on towing.

Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I like turtle's suggestion to get to a shop.

Suggest you confirm that start signal is dropping out when starter refuses to fully engage. This would confirm an interupt in the start signal circuit is the primary fault.

If start signal is constant, then problem is starter related, even though you have a new starter. Unfortunately, failure "out of box" are not unusual. Turtle's jumper start would also confirm starter integrity.

Fault could be an alarm system relay failing, or possibly a faulty ignition switch contact (opening).

good luck

Old 03-18-2015, 05:04 PM
Default Seriously

You ever have one of those days. Original problem pointed me to a starter due to one loud click from the solenoid so I replaced it. New starter did the same thing so I figured it was something else. I should have trusted my gut instinct.

Starter was a bad part from AutoBone. They swapped it and now it runs as good as it did before. You wouldn't even think it has over 200K on it. Thanks for the input I just couldn't give in so I went back to the beginning and rednecked it. Used a set of pliers to jump across terminals and it started. Should have done it to begin with, I know.

Lesson learned. Thanks for the help.