General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2000 Honda Accord Ex; CEL code P1259

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 02:45 PM
Default 2000 Honda Accord Ex; CEL code P1259

I have a 2000 Accord Ex, 4 cylinder Vtec, 168k. (I hope that's specific enough)

I'm new to posting here, and a novice when it comes to car issues, but I hope I will provide enough info, so yall can give me some kind of idea as to whats going on.
So I was driving back in from out of town and my CEL popped on. I went to Auto Zone to get it checked, and code# 1259 came up. Apparently that usually deals with low oil or maybe some kind of V-Tec filter problem. I went and checked the oil, and the dip stick was completely dry, so I think I found the issue.
However, a little back story, last week I took my car in to the shop because during a previous oil change the mechanic had noticed oil leaks coming from various areas of the engine. The mechanic said the radiator, timing belt, and oil pan seals were leaking. So over the past 2 months I have gotten the radiator (plus new seals), oil pan, and the timing belt replaced. The mechanic said that oil on the TB would essentially ruin it so, this is the 2nd time I have gotten the TB replaced. The first replacement was after 135k, when it is suggested. The last repair was, last week, when I got both the TB and oil pan replaced.
Anyway, of course the oil was supposed to be changed after the oil pan was replaced. And now about a week after the timing belt and the oil pan seals were replaced, there is no oil in the engine. I don't think my car has been burning oil, because I would have smelled it. And I haven't noticed any massive oil spots from where my car has been parked. While I admit I haven't looked too hard, if 3 quarts of oil would have leaked out I think I would have noticed.
Thoughts Please?

Old 06-13-2011, 02:55 PM

you wouldnt necessarily smell the burning oil. how long did it take to lose the 3qts of oil?

and yes the low oil is what tripped the vtec code.

fill the oil back up ASAP and observe any oil leaks. check your plugs, you can tell from your plugs if your burning oil.

Old 06-13-2011, 04:09 PM

Well I'm not exactly sure how long it took to lose the oil completely, but the sensor went off today. So that would be about 5-6 days. I took it by the shop, and they refilled it, told me to bring it in tomorrow morning. However, I just checked the spot i parked in, and there is a nice oil spot. I'm starting to think that the oil pan wasn't replaced correctly. Thoughts?

Old 06-13-2011, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

You are going to have to find the source of the oil leak. Where is the oil dripping from?

Clean as much oil off of the engine as possible, then drive. Try to find the highest spot where oil is leaking. Also inspect all 4 sides of the engine block.

On the back the oil filter or the oil pressure sending unit are common places. The passenger side of the engine can be from the distributor. The valve cover gasket can leak on any side of the engine. On the driver's side, the shaft seals under the timing belt are sources of leaks.

Did the shop replace all the seals behind the timing belt cover? There is a camshaft, front balance shaft, and a crankshaft seal. There is also a seal behind the rear balance shaft gear housing.

Old 06-13-2011, 09:50 PM

yes they replaced all the seals on for the TB cover, it is dripping from what looks like the front part of where the engine is.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:00 PM

can you get a pipcture?