General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord Coupe - Driver door handle/latch/lock issues. Detailed pic inside.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Default 2001 Accord Coupe - Driver door handle/latch/lock issues. Detailed pic inside.

Quick question for you all.

See this image:

https://i.imgur.com/iyXU1lI.jpg

The blue arrow is the rod that connects from the latch to the exterior handle.

This rod was disconnected, which made it impossible to open the door from the outside.

I took the door panel off today and reconnected this rod. The handle worked, thought I was finished.

I closed the door and locked it, when I tried to unlock the door I was unable to. The power locks would attempt to unlock (door pins start to rise) then they would go back down.

After some googling I found out the door actuators can go bad, I didn't think this was it but it was cheap (50 or so), so I bought one. Replaced the actuator, still no good. If I closed and locked the doors the lock would jam.

On the image (https://i.imgur.com/iyXU1lI.jpg) the green and red lines are the adjustable heights for that pin that connects to the handle.

Originally the pin was at the green height. At this height there seemed to be some "tension" on the rod where it connects (blue arrow). I wasn't sure if this mattered so I screwed the pin down to the red height.

At the red height I was able to work the locks and open and close the door just fine. Problem with the red height is sometimes when trying to open the door the rod pops out from the handle again.

On the image, where the blue arrow is - the rod is all floppy. I'm able to move the rod around at all kinds of angles. Is it supposed to be solid and tight right there or is this normal?

One last thing, I don't see a latch protector(black question mark on image) in there. Is this needed? Not sure why I don't have one.

From talking to the dealership guy, the latch assembly looks like it comes with all new rods and clips and all that. It's kind of my last resort to buy that because it is about $125, but I will buy it if it will solve this.

Any thoughts?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like you need to adjust somewhere in the middle. How hard is it to adjust and keep testing?

It looks like the shop manual says to mark that part to make reassembly easier. Were you able to figure out why it came apart?

One option to save some money, you can pick on up from a salvage yard.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:37 PM

Yea when I changed the pin height, I skipped one spot.

Like it was at max length, I rotated it 360 degrees it went down about a 1/4 inch, rotated it another 360 degrees and it went down another 1/4.

I could try the position I skipped past...

On the spot where the pin clips into the backside of the door handle. Is it supposed to be able to pop out or am I missing some sort of clip? I guess if it didn't pop out, one piece would have broken instead when I was trying to open the door... not really sure.

Absolute worst case scenario/cost is I buy a new latch assembly and outer door handle (pre-painted) from dealer for about $175 and replace it all. Not too bad but I just don't wanna jump right to that without researching.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 01-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to look at the parts blowup for your specific accord on a site selling OEM parts like hondapartsnow.com or majestic honda. That may answer your questions.

There is a site called hondamanualsource.com where you can buy the pdf of the shop manual for $21.99.

You can take a look at the passenger side lock to see if something is missing.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
You may want to look at the parts blowup for your specific accord on a site selling OEM parts like hondapartsnow.com or majestic honda. That may answer your questions.

There is a site called hondamanualsource.com where you can buy the pdf of the shop manual for $21.99.

You can take a look at the passenger side lock to see if something is missing.
When ordering parts from these online sites, how are they referencing Left/Right?

Is it looking at the car from the front or sitting inside the car?

Example, if I order left door latch is that drivers door or passenger door?

Old 01-28-2013, 10:19 PM
Super Moderator

They should be referring to left-right as if you're sitting in the car.

Old 01-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator

Like you are driving the car. Left is driver's side.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:35 AM

Well I replaced the entire latch assembly, door handle works fine now.

Door locks work fine in manual mode (fuse pulled)

Problem now is my power door locks only halfway work.

I can manually lock by pressing down the pins. I can unlock them with the switches.

Neither switch will lock the doors.

Frustrating, I'm very confused on what could be wrong.

Using the actuator on the drivers side that came attached to the new latch assembly - is brand new.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:49 AM

I figured it out, wanted to post answer in case any googling person stumbles on this thread. I googled for an hour and found nothing about this specific problem.

1) I had to completely hook up the drivers door. Not just the power door lock button, I had to plug it all in (not 100% sure if this part was required - but this was part of my fix)

2) I had to use the key in the lock on the outside. I can't say what this did to fix it but it did.

I locked and unlocked the passenger side door saw it was sending signal across and the drivers pin was going up and down. Passenger switch would pop the drivers pin up but not lock either side.

Locked and unlocked the car from the drivers side and it all started working.

Not sure it is 100% perfect, think I forgot to test the passenger switch. Other than that it's good to go.

Next up I need to figure out why my window wont roll up all the way (gets about an inch from the top and makes this popping sound with the window attempting to go up and falling back down that repeats.

Only way to fully roll it up is to pull it up into the track while pressing the up button.

One step at a time, thanks guys in this thread for all your help fixing my latch. I have 2 spare door actuators now (drivers side) - anyone need one send me a PM

Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thank you for the update....just as you said, if can/will help the next person.