General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 Accord EX Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2007, 04:44 AM
nx116
Unregistered
Default 2001 Accord EX Won't Start

I have a 2001 Accord EX V6 3.0. I tried to start the car with no luck. This is the first time I've had this problem and want some help before I have it towed to a mechanic. I am a total noob, but an not completely technically retarded. Here are some things I've noticed and checked already:

When I try to start the car, it'll crank, but will not turn on. I think this rules out the starter.
When I switch it to 'on', the check engine light does turn on and I do have power to all lights and the cd player.
I tried to jump it, but it didn't help. I'm pretty sure my battery is fine.
When the car cranks, it doesn't sound unusual. It is neither too slow nor too fast, it just won't start the car. I think this rules out the timing belt, but am not sure.
I've checked my oils and gas. My tank is full and oils are OK.

The only things I can think of that may be the problem is the fuel pump or the spark plugs. If I can get some directions or a link to check these myself, that'd be great.

Other than that, I'm at a total loss. Any help, comments, or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:13 AM
Default RE: 2001 Accord EX Won't Start

Is it getting Spark? bad coil..If its not getting gas a bad fuel pump ,Check to hear the buzzin sound which is the Fuel pump,NO sound bad Pump..my 2 cents..

Old 12-24-2007, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the immobilizer system? green key lite on dash?
Or an alarm/security system?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 AM

Open the gas tank door and put your ear close to the gas cap while someone turns the key. Listen for the fuel pump. it may be a faint sound. If you can't hear it, there could be something wrong with the pump. Check out the DIY section where deserthonda posted tests for fuel or spark.
I would suggest you take a spark plug loose and ground it while someone turns over the engine to look for spark, but since youreferred to yourself asa total noob(there should be no shame in that, everyone has to start somewhere), I imagine you don't have the tools (socket, spark plugextention, and spark plugwrench) to do that.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:04 PM

he has 6 coils, it's unlikely all 6 died. how many miles do you have?
i have seen fuel pumps crap out on your generation. (it's rare, but it happens).
can you hear the fuel pump running when you first turn on the key?
if you turn on the key is the green immobilizer key flashing angrily at you? if not, when you turn the key off does it flash 5 times and then stay off?
there is a fuel main relay under the driver side dash - try and tap on that while cranking the car. if it starts you found your problem.