General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord Sedan SRS light

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator
Default 2001 Accord Sedan SRS light

Hey gang, here's yet another SRS light thread; this time for our 2001 Accord EX-L V6. A little research here revealed the SRS light issue is both pretty common and referenced in the Honda Service Bulliten 06-009 (which also describes an extended warranty, now expired); most folks say its an odds on bet the driver's seat belt buckle is the issue.

I took our car in to a Honda dealership yesterday and had to pay $67.50 for the above to be confirmed and to be told my car would not be covered by the warranty. Further more, the service department informed me that for an additional $145 they'd order a belt buckle (SPO 7169-C) and install it. Gee thanks.

So, the next question is, where online can I buy a new seat belt buckle (College Hills Honda?), and is this a relatively easy install for someone who has been wrenching on cars for almost forty years? If I install it myself, will the SRS light eventually go out on its own or will it need to be reset?

Old 04-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Update:

I just checked the College Hills Honda web site and see the following part for $55.25; can anyone confirm this is the part I need?
  • BUCKLE SET, L. FR. SEAT BELT *YR164L* (MEDIUM TAUPE) - 2001 HONDA ACCORD (04816-S84-A53ZC)

An additional question: the above part is labeled as having "Medium Taupe" as the color, however, the seat belts themselves have a color reference of "Mild Beige"; is it safe to assume these two colors are meant to be paired?

Old 04-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Well, some have "cleaned" the buckle with something like WD40 and had luck? Dirt and that preventing the switch from knowing it is buckled...or something like that. Again just an idea.

Did you input the VIN when you did the look up? Still may not help but in the drivers door jam there should be sticker with both "paint/color" codes for both the inside and out. The inside looks to be a letter "Type E" or something. I can't find anything real quick to translate the inside color code to an actual color.....sorry.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by poorman212
Well, some have "cleaned" the buckle with something like WD40 and had luck? Dirt and that preventing the switch from knowing it is buckled...or something like that. Again just an idea.

Did you input the VIN when you did the look up? Still may not help but in the drivers door jam there should be sticker with both "paint/color" codes for both the inside and out. The inside looks to be a letter "Type E" or something. I can't find anything real quick to translate the inside color code to an actual color.....sorry.
Thanks for the response, I may try and clean the buckle. Do you happen to know the reset procedure for the light?

As for the College Hills Honda, yes, I did use my VIN and it gave me two basic color palettes, Gray and Beige/Taupe.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

The sticker on your driver's door jamb probably states Type F (which is Ivory) for the interior color code if your seat belt says "mild beige." The seat belt components for a Type F interior color are a combination of "mid beige" and medium taupe."

Try entering your VIN at a site like Bernardi Honda parts and use the interior color type code listed on your door jamb sticker.

2001 Accord interior color type codes:
Type B - Quart Gray
Type C - Blue
Type F - Ivory

Old 04-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by shipo
Do you happen to know the reset procedure for the light?
Google the same Honda service bulletin number in your first post for the manual reset procedure.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Off the wall here.....but I would call this a seat belt issue and not an SRS/air bag issue. Call Honda of America and ask them what the warranty is on seat belts? The issue is with the belt, dealer confirmed that, not the srs/sir bag system.

Skinning a rabbit is easy....a squirrel takes a bit more effort.

So a few phone calls....cost almost nothing. If you win, repaired for no cost.......priceless

EDIT: I'd call Honda of America and tell them "my dealer" has confirmed a problem with the seat belt buckle and they will not cover it under warranty. What is the warranty on the seat belts in these...check the owners manual. I hate to cut money out of a Tech for Honda ( they get pennies doing warranty work) paycheck but...........

Last edited by poorman212; 04-02-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Google the same Honda service bulletin number in your first post for the manual reset procedure.
Perfect, thanks much.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

The seat belt buckle should be covered under Honda's lifetime warranty on your generation Accord. Many people have had it replaced for no costs to them.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Don't try to reset the SRS yet. Go back to the dealer and bring up the lifetime seat belt warranty.

Quick Reply: 2001 Accord Sedan SRS light