General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Accord. TCS Light staying on.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 12:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 Accord. TCS Light staying on.

My mom drives a '01 Accord LX Sedan V6... and her TCS (Traction Control System) light has been staying on. She claims that it stays on but then turns off and then comes on again. I looked thru the owner's manual and it says if it stays on that means there's a problem with the TCS.

At this point, I'm not sure what's going on since it turns off and on, but TCS is activated always (button). Just wondering if this could be a potential safety hazard, but she drives pretty casually, usually just highway miles 80mph and under. She has to drive my siblings around, so I'm just a little concerned. Can I get some help here? Thanks all!

Old 10-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

There is no additional hazard in driving w/o TCS/ABS, beyond the disabled driving safety systems. No control of braking force to prevent wheels lockup in a panic stop. No control of traction on icy roads for safe steering.

Usually these systems can be repaired fairly easily, but service labor and parts are expensive.

good luck

Old 10-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh okay, thanks a lot.

I guess it will be okay if she just drives casually. ABS is fine, its just traction light is on then sometimes turns off. We live in Southern California and that car has never touched snow its its life. Can it be an additional hazard in wet driving conditions ie rain?

Old 10-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

My understanding was that ABS and TCS used same sensors. Not sure how lack of TCS would affect wet street control.

good luck

Old 10-21-2010, 04:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I had this same problem and got diagnosed with a clogged EGR Valve. what happens with the TCS light is kind of funny from a logical point of view. The way TCS works is that when the car starts to lose traction the TCS system reduces engine power by disabling engine cylinders until the car regains traction. Well, when the engine is running on reduced power, such as when an EGR hangs or when the car has a misfire, the TCS control unit 'thinks' the TCS is engaged and puts the TCS light ON. Get your EGR checked and it might fix your problem.

Old 10-22-2010, 02:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ohhhh okay, so if the EGR valve has somewhat gone bad, it needs replacing... what if its not the EGR?

Thanks for letting me know what TCS really does.. because i didn't know what it did with the accord. I thought it increased traction for slippery driving or maneuvering conditions cuz thats what it does in my ex-gfs Mustang.

Also, if its the EGR, the next time my mom has to get a smog check it won't pass then.

Old 10-22-2010, 04:13 PM
Administrator

TCS-Throttle Control System & Transmission Control Spark system or Transmission
Converter Switch...Which might it be..?

Anymore suggestions for the answer?

Old 10-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

TCS- Traction Control System

Yes the car will not past smog.

But the EGR is really easy to clean. TSB 99-085 tells you how to get to the valve AND the port(which is usually the core of the problem) Just shoot it with some carb cleaner and reset the codes. if it doesn't come back then problem solved! And even if that isn't ur actual problem, man does that car run smooth with a clean EGR system

Old 10-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks ^^

Yes, TCS = Traction Control System.