General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Auto Transmission slipping once warm

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Default 92 Auto Transmission slipping once warm

I have looked through many transmission slipping threads already and not found any answers so hear goes. It's a 92 EX Automatic, with 240,000 miles. After driving it about 3-5 miles, the transmission begins slipping (engine rpm's increase but speed stays the same). The D4 light is not flashing, and the fluid level is fine. I've already replaced the Transmission shifter solenoid and the transmission ECU earlier. This is a new problem. I have thought about buying a used transmission from d-a-p.com for $400 instead of rebuilding the tranny for $1600. How hard would it be to do a transmission replacement? or any ideas how to fix this slippage? Thanks!

Old 09-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Super Moderator

Well I'd have to ask that when you replaced the shift solenoid did you happen to notice if there was a bunch of 'wet cardboard' looking stuff in the screen of the solenoid?
There could be a torque converter coming apart and then the trans sump pick up filter gets plugged up and low pressure results.
The common customer description is that the trans slips and then if the car is shut off for 20 minutes the trans will again shift normally for a few miles.
I've probably done a dozen of them removing the case, clean them out, install new filter and torque converter.
It's not rocket science to change the transmisions, but I recommend a new torque converter.
Working on the ground with jackstands you'll need a hydraulic trolley jack to get the trans out and down. And some one to help balance it.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Sorry for the late reply. I took the forum's advice and tried Genuine Honda ATF Tranny fluid...IT WORKED! That solved the problem. I have changed the fluid after driving it 100 miles, then 500 miles, then 1000 miles in order to try to flush any old remaining Wal-Mart brand fluid out. I have not had any problems since I switched to Genuine Honda ATF fluid. :-) Thanks to all on the forum for the advice!