General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2001 accord. will not crank help!!

Old 04-07-2014, 06:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2001 accord. will not crank help!!

hey yall, I have recently gotten a 2001 accord lx, it was recommend that I do a timing service on the car. It was done by my stepdad. after the belts and water pump were changed, the car drove and worked fine. I drove the car for about 20 minutes and it shut off. it had no fire. I replaced the distributor cap, and the rotor, then I thought it was fixed it fired and cranked right up.. I shut it down and tried to crank again and nothing, but it is firing. Im not sure what is going on any ideas? my step dad thinks it has something to do with advance time, but not sure not to fix it of if my car even has anything like that. please help

Old 04-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

First, Welcome to HAF.

I've moved this to General Tech - fits better here.

Just so I'm clear, when you turn the key to start - the starter is spinning the engine, just it won't fire up and run. Correct?

Turn the key to on/pos II, does the CEL come on for ~3 seconds and then go off. Also during this time, listen for the fuel pump to prime - hard to hear so turn the radio, blower motor and anything else that makes noise off.

What happens if you remove the intake tube from the TB, open the butterfly and give it a good ~5 second blast of carb cleaner and then try to start the car.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies

that is correct, everything spins it just will not actually crank. no I haven't tried anything other than what I have listed. iam not the one doing the work my step dad is and he doesn't know what to do now

Last edited by Melissa Mcdowell; 04-07-2014 at 07:28 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First step w/ no start is to determine whether fuel delivery or spark is problem. That's what PM was requesting w/ starting w/ carb cleaner in air intake duct.

If it starts, then spark is OK and fuel delivery is problem. If no-start then spark is missing.

good luck

Old 04-07-2014, 08:27 AM
Newest Of Newbies

it sounds like its trying to start, but it doesn't. like it wines like its trying to. the green key light stays on for a bout 3-5 seconds. im having to put this up for my step dad because he does not have internet. the car is not at my home. it is at his. he checked to see if it was sparking and it was. when I was this I mean he pulled a wire for the spark plugs to see if it was sparking and it did. I will relay the message to my step dad of trying this step

Last edited by Melissa Mcdowell; 04-07-2014 at 08:53 AM.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Any updates?

Old 04-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

he believes its off time, how do I go about getting it back in time.

Old 04-09-2014, 09:09 AM

Align crankshaft to TDC using pointer on lower timing cover and mark on crankshaft pulley. Remove upper timing cover and check that camshaft TDC mark aligns w/ rear flat surface of upper timing rear cover. The camshaft sprocket mark should be at approx. 9 o'clock position.

If it doesn't align, the timing belt will need to be repositioned as was done for timing belt replacement.

Engine ignition timing check is done by checking marks on crankshaft pulley (3 marks close together w/ center red mark indicating exact alignment, anywhere inside the extreme marks is OK). The distributor is not adjustable to change ignition timing. If out of limits, then new distributor necessary. Timing must be checked w/ a timing light and engine starter turning engine over or engine running.

good luck

Old 04-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

he tired to give it a 5 second blast of carb cleaner and then tried to start the car, but nothing. so what does that mean?

Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 PM

Suggest repeating start test w/ perhaps 10 sec blast of throttle body cleaner to confirm, but very likely you have no spark.

No spark should first check whether you have 12V w/ keyswitch ON to the distributor on Blk/Yel wire at distributor connector. If 12V missing check fuse 5 in underhood fuse box. If still missing 12V, ignition switch assy is faulty and must be replaced.

If 12V is available to distributor, the ignition coil or ignitor are likely source of problem.

Was engine timing confirmed OK?

good luck

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 accord. will not crank help!!