General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Accord Alternator/Ignition charging issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 05:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

wow ok , thanks again red , its been horrible weather here in illinois single digits and everything im doing is outside .. so please bare with me .

Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So red you jar'd something in my mind ... when you were telling me about that piece ... you said that black and yellow wire should have 12 volts on ignition key on , well it doesnt , matter of fact when this all first started I tested it and it didnt have 12volts , maybe that will explain the charging issue ? who knows , what my plan is tomorrow is to go get a junkyard ecm and immobilizer , i know a place that has one ... I am still leaning towards the pcm/ecm combo being jacked up . I have the whole car interior stripped down looking at every wire and its all tight , connections are great .. I just dont know what it could possibly be ...

Old 02-20-2015, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

This first part is from one of my early posts in this thread:

With the ignition in ON or START, driver's fuse no. 6 feeds many components via various separate Blk/Yel wires and connectors.
  • EVAP Canister Vent Shut Valve
  • EVAP Bypass Solenoid Valve
  • Radiator Fan Control Module
  • Gauge Assembly
  • Cruise Control/TSC switch
  • Primary HO2
  • PCM
  • Alternator
  • EVAP Canister Purge Valve
  • Engine Mount Control Solenoid Valve
  • Secondary HO2
  • ELD
You need 12 volts on the various Blk/Yel wires that come through Fuse No. 6. Unfortunately, you did not have 12 volts going to the PCM, alternator, and ELD at various stages in this; which these are all part of the charging system. They affect other things too.

Old 02-20-2015, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

You may be better served to find a replacement engine harness that matches your EX V6.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey Red , did a little testing last night and I got a junk yard ecm . Well of course all the keys to go with the ecm on all the junk yard cars for the immobilizer were missing the keys ... But make a long story short , I plugged the used ecm in looking for the key flash , and I didnt get it ... What I did find was

There are 4 connections going into the ecm as you well know .. I tested the yellow/black black/yellow wires going out of the ecm to engine harness and it ws 2.0 volts as I stated in a previous post , and the harness that goes into the ecm I only tested the green/white striped wire and it had 12 volts going in ..

I am not sure if there is other wires that go in that harness that plug into the ecm supply voltage .

I do not think its the engine harness, what is baffleing me is 12 volts going in 2 volts coming out , but like I said thats only testing the green wire with white stripe going in . Im trying to narrow this down , and Im getting close , I got the car to start on its own , and then I purposely started moving ecm harness wires and the car went dead , I searched for a good hour to locate which wire it could have been (there is so many) but couldnt recreate the car starting again , PLUS the green key on the dash is not flashing , its not flashing either when I put the junk yard ecm in .

When I supply 12 volts from the underhood wire (back feed) it will turn the immobilizer on and the key will flash , car will start and all the yello/black wires going into ecm have 12 volts . so the problem in my opinion is somewhere between key to ecm , I checked number 6 fuse and it still has ignition voltage when i turn the key on .

but like I said , I dont know which wires going into the ecm on the first position on the harness are supposed to have voltage .. any idea ? You sir are a genius .

Old 02-23-2015, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Just so I can follow along.....which one of the four plugs/connectors to the PCM are you testing from......A is a 32 pin, B is a 25 pin, C is a 31 pin and D is a 16 pin connector.

And just for giggles - not trying to get this off track - with the key on, what is the voltage on the BLK/YEL wire going into the dist?

Old 02-24-2015, 04:30 AM
Newest Of Newbies

hey poor man , im testing the 32 pin going into the ecm , its the harness running up from the ignition , the other 3 harnesses are part of the motor harness . as far as a distributor goes , this car I would assume has coils being a 02 ? so that probably answers , no to your question if i checked it lol .. by all means if there is one where is it all ?

Old 02-26-2015, 05:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Red where did ya go

Old 02-26-2015, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator

Yea, forgot about it being a v6.....the 6 cyl switched to COP in '00. If you could put your car info in your signature line we would have to go back to the begining of the thread to remember.

Not trying to de-rail where Redbull is going....I was going way out there and wondering if the electrical part of the ign switch has gone bad?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mjp9348
There are 4 connections going into the ecm as you well know .. I tested the yellow/black black/yellow wires going out of the ecm to engine harness and it ws 2.0 volts as I stated in a previous post , and the harness that goes into the ecm I only tested the green/white striped wire and it had 12 volts going in ..

I am not sure if there is other wires that go in that harness that plug into the ecm supply voltage .

I do not think its the engine harness, what is baffleing me is 12 volts going in 2 volts coming out , but like I said thats only testing the green wire with white stripe going in .

When I supply 12 volts from the underhood wire (back feed) it will turn the immobilizer on and the key will flash , car will start and all the yello/black wires going into ecm have 12 volts . so the problem in my opinion is somewhere between key to ecm
Originally Posted by mjp9348
...im testing the 32 pin going into the ecm , its the harness running up from the ignition , the other 3 harnesses are part of the motor harness ...
The gray 32 pin connector is Connector A at the PCM. The power and ground wires for the PCM are at Connector B (the 25-P connector).
  • Take some pictures of the location of the PCM harness wires where there is only 2 volt before the 12 volt back-feed hook-up.
  • Then take some pictures of where you hooked-up the 12 volt back-feed under-hood.
Power and ground wires to the PCM is principally at Connector B. Passenger side Fuse No. 13 (7.5A) which is always Hot, supplies power via a Wht/Yel wire to terminal no. 21. Power is also supplied to the PCM via Yel/Blk wires at terminal nos. 1 and 9, via the main relay. -- Coils in the main relay needs to energized before power is allowed through the main relay Yel/Blk wires to the PCM. You may have some existing wiring issue due to your previous splice attempt into the Yel/Blk wire at Connector C104 (10-P gray connector in the engine compartment) earlier in this thread. Power from the main relay has to go through Connector C104.

Quick Reply: 2002 Accord Alternator/Ignition charging issue