General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 accord sedan airbag and seatbelt

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 12:21 AM
vi3tboi
Unregistered
Default 2002 accord sedan airbag and seatbelt

2002 honda accord special edition.

It a long story and it my gf car. It was raining and she jump over sidewalk. The airbag pop out, so what should i do now? can i put it back in or need to buy new one? The seatbelt for some reason is stuck and will not pull back anymore. The passenger side seatbelt is stuck and cant pull out. The driver side is pull out, but can't be pull back in.

Old 01-05-2008, 01:32 AM
Default RE: 2002 accord sedan airbag and seatbelt

bad news. in order to get the srs system back online and functioning properly:

all deployed airbags must be replaced - they cannot be reused.
all affected seat belts must be replaced - they are designed to lock and some retract to keep you in your seat.
the srs control unit must be replaced - it cannot be reset once it deploys airbags or seatbelt tensioners.
affected impact sensors should be replaced, it depends if they recode after srs control unit replacement. some are one time use, others can be reused.

total cost parts alone - i'd guess $1500-$2000

if you don't care about the srs system just replace the seat belt you need to use.

btw - did they do a good job and keep you safe?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:46 AM
vi3tboi
Unregistered

Thx for your information. I want to forget about the SRS, so what should i do with the air bag? Cut it out and stuff it back in? So i have to buy the whole seatbelt system (Passenger and driver side)?Is it easy to replace seatbelt (DIY)? How much would it cost to buy it? Yes, the airbag did a good job.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:08 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

wow. this is the time you use your insurance.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:05 AM

well, you can buy used srs stuff on ebay including airbags. i don't condone it but it's there. the srs connector has a failsafe on airbags so that when disconnected all the terminal pins short out with each other to prevent deployment from static but still...what if it deployed during handling? anyway, the seat belts shouldn't be to costly, they are behind the trim panels so taht has to be removed. call around to a dealer or two and ask for a price quote. if the prices are reasonable let me know, i'll post some info on how to do it yourself. you'll need tools like...14mm socket, ratchet,and a few screwdrivers)

you can take a knife and cut off the airbags from their mounts and tape them shut if you want. you can also remove the gauge assembly and pull that srs bulb out also to make your life easier! heh

Old 01-05-2008, 01:09 PM
vi3tboi
Unregistered

What is the "gauge assembly and pull that srs bulb"? I got price quote of $216 for retractor(driverside only.)

Old 01-05-2008, 01:14 PM

He's basically saying if you don't want to fix the system but want functioning seatbelts and no SRS light then just replace the seat belt, remove the dash gauges (speedometer, tachometer, gas gauge etc) and remove the light bulb that keeps the SRS light on

Old 01-05-2008, 01:19 PM

hehe, yeah, but if you sell the car it will be fun to diagnose

Old 01-05-2008, 01:50 PM
vi3tboi
Unregistered

HondatechAV6: Is there information on DIY on seatbelt and removing all the necessary part to take out the SRS light. I going to get two seatbelt (driver and passenger)

Old 01-05-2008, 05:02 PM

i posted some info on removing the gauge in a recent post, it's the same thing for you, you'd just want to unscrew the srs illumination bulb if it bothers you.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/int...m_99755/tm.htm

scroll down, that pic even shows the exact bulb to remove.

Quick Reply: 2002 accord sedan airbag and seatbelt