General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2002 Honda V6 Check Engine and TCS Lights

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 12:39 PM
calspud
Unregistered
Default 2002 Honda V6 Check Engine and TCS Lights

I have a 2002 EX V6 4-Door sedan with less than 74,000 miles that produceda Check Engine light with code P0133 (sensor 1 bank 1 slow to respond). I replaced the O2 sensor with a factory part. The Check Engine light returned 4 days later with an occasionalTCS Light and I noticed rough cold starts but ran quite well after warm-up. I brought it to the only localdealer who charged me $109 and said it would cost $2683 plus tax to start finding the solution (no guarantee it would fix the car).

They found P0301 & P0304 (misfire cylinders 1 & 4) and TCS code 32-1 (front out solenoid failure) found MAP sensor voltage low. They advised starting with a valve adjustment and check camshaft for wear, replacing the fuel injectors, and replacing spark plugs to start eliminating possible causes for the Check Engine Light. For the TCS/ABS code 32-1,found voltage in and out of control unit ok. Circuit is not shorted to ground or open so they advised replacing ABS Modulator/Control Unit.

I brought is to an independent mechanic who thought it just needed a tune-up (for the CEL) and he checked the plug boots for cracks etc.. No improvement so the car was brought back a week later. He found the EGR port clogged with carbon and cleaned it out. The engine ran notably smoother and the CEL went out for another 3 days. The Check Engine Light returned with the TCS and now occasionally when I come to a stop the red brake light will illuminate until I let off the brake. The independent is now stumped and he is thinking it needs a valve adjustment because the valves are too tight - possibly stretched! I barely know enough to be dangerous but wouldn't that case worsen as the engine got hot and run better on a cold start?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 2002 Honda V6 Check Engine and TCS Lights

ORIGINAL: calspud

I have a 2002 EX V6 4-Door sedan with less than 74,000 miles that I brought it to the only localdealer who charged me $109 and said it would cost $2683 plus tax to start finding the solution (no guarantee it would fix the car).

Wow , no guarantee so what are they going to do for the money ???

They found P0301 & P0304 (misfire cylinders 1 & 4) and TCS code 32-1 (front out solenoid failure)

TCS code 32 is not the frt solenoid failure , that is the ABS CODE 32
TCS CODE 32 IS FOR ENGINE SPEED SIGNAL,
which makes sense if your car is misfiring .
they need to spend some more time to diagnose the issue properly instead of guessing and giving you such ridiclous estimates

eliminating possible causes for the Check Engine Light. For the TCS/ABS code 32-1,found voltage in and out of control unit ok. Circuit is not shorted to ground or open so they advised replacing ABS Modulator/Control Unit.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 10-18-2007, 02:38 PM

Are they a Honda dealer? If so, you should call Honda of America and tell them exactly what you told us the dealership said. That is absolutely absurd.

Old 10-21-2007, 01:44 AM
calspud
Unregistered

Honda of America returned my call after two days and said they don't understand what my problem is. If the dealership diagnosis a problem, then they are the technical experts and Honda of America is not capable of dealing with technical questions. They suggested I just allow the dealership to perform the work or bring the car to another Honda dealership to diagnos the car and pay another $109.

Old 10-28-2007, 12:59 PM
calspud
Unregistered

Just thought I would post the results to help someone else that experiences similar problems - It apparently was 4 clogged fuel injectors. Running 4 or 5 tanks of SeaFoam and Berryman's injector cleaner did not help. I cant prove that I got some bad fuel or that I buy from a place that sells inferior fuel but replacing 4 of the injectors has fixed the engine light and TCS light so far. I have been purchasing fuel from Costco for the past 2 years and the independant mechanic that worked on this problem suggested buy fuel from a better source. So far the total has been around $1100.

I am hoping that the TCS light does not come back on because apparently that will require replacing the brake module/controller which is another $1500.

Your decision on where to purchase your fuelmay become very costly!