General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Pump Relay Or Fuel Pump????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:48 PM
kissbally78
Unregistered
Default Fuel Pump Relay Or Fuel Pump????

more troubles with my honda, ok here we go, this only usually happens in the morning. ive been having a starting problem lately with the car, ill start it in the morning and it wont start it just cranks, and i have to keep the key turned and pump the gas then all of a sudden the car come alive shacks like crazy and for maybe 10 seconds i get puff of smoke its like white and blue and it smells like burnt gas or oil, then the whole rest of the day the car is fine but has a low idle. i was doing some research online and in the forums and most of the time when the car is hot its a sympton of main relay failure, the fuel pump does hum everytime i turn the key, i was thinking maybe its not getting enough fuel or the relay is going bad, theres no engine light and the car runs great after i get it started it just does this everymorning in the cold, any help would be great thanks.....Peter

2000 honda accord lx v6 2dr

Old 01-17-2009, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Fuel Pump Relay Or Fuel Pump????

Make sure that your maintenance items are up to date. Replace old spark plugs, air filter, distributor cap and rotor (if you have one).

If the fuel pump hums every time you turn the key (even when it doesn't start), then the main relay is doing its job.

When the no-start is happening, you need to determine if the cause is a lack of fuel or a lack of spark. Hooking up a timing light will identify an adequate spark if it is flashing. To verify adequate fuel pressure, you need to hook up a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Super Moderator

As mentioned, be sure you have good spark plugs and air filter.
This problem needs to be checked by using the same starting method Every time;
Turn on the key, buckle your seat belt, [5 seconds] then crank the engine.
This allows for full fuel pressure and a better injector spray pattern.

If you still are having troubles, I'd suggest an injector leak down test.

FYI 'pumping' the gas pedal on a fuel injected engine does NOTHING useful;
holding it 1/2 way can allow more air in to the cylinders to clear a flooded condition.

For the low idle, I'd try cleaning the IACV and checking for vacum leaks.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:14 PM
kissbally78
Unregistered

wanted to give an update on the car, i replaced the spark plugs today and the air filter is already new. i used the starting method mention by HONDADUDE, and it started right up but it was shaking really bad until it warmed up, iacv is brand new and was set on a computer by a mechanic. im puzzled any other ideas anyone can think of would be greatly appriciated, i need this car to get to work thanks Peter