General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Accord Engine Failure

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default 2003 Accord Engine Failure

On my 2003 Accord the hydraulic slack adjuster for the timing chain failed resulting in the valves hitting the pistons. Honda is saying they won’t do anything unless I have service records for the oil changes. They won’t accept my own records (doing my own oil changes) even with being a certified mechanic in my state. The Honda dealer said it was very low on oil at failure with no signs of leak. Oil was checked about 80 miles before engine failure and had a history of using at about a quart per 1500 miles and did not smoke or show any signs of oil consumption.

Old 01-15-2009, 02:42 PM
Default RE: 2003 Accord Engine Failure

My question is why are these engines consuming so much oil without a sign of where it is going and is the slack adjuster failure a common issue.

Old 01-15-2009, 03:26 PM

Hmm, I did not know that k24a4 was an interference engine.....that is big bucks though, had to replace mine on a lancer 03, cost me a good penny.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2009, 03:27 PM

ORIGINAL: nponer

Hmm, I did not know that k24a4 was an interference engine
All of the Honda 4 cyl engines are... and V6s too?

Old 01-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I believe Honda has a "consumer affairs rep" or similar name whose responsibility is to listen to claims such as yours and decide if Honda has as responsibilty to you. Firm, continual, and calmpressure should be applied to get a response.

If you strike out, and decide you must pay, I would find a good shop familiar w/ Honda engines and buy a used engine.

good luck

Old 01-15-2009, 08:07 PM

If we ignore the oil loss and just look at the VTEC as the check engine light came on with the code for the cam sensor just before it blew up couldn’t the cam timing cause the valves to hit the pistons.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 PM

I read how the Cam timing sensor works and found that there is a separate oil pressure sensor for VTEC and if the engine has low oil pressure the computer can throw a code for cam sensor failure. So I am left with why the oil light didn’t come on and where the oil went to in just 80 miles.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:26 PM

It shouldn't matter why it failed. I believe your records would standup in court.

Vtec holds 2nd intake valve open longer to improve fuel delivery under higher engine speeds. Even if stuck in full Vtec open operation, the 2nd intake valve would not hit a pistion. It has to miss that piston under heavy throttle under intended Vtec operation. This is based on 94 Accord Vtec. Later models may be more complex.

good luck

Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 AM

I have been following the on-going saga of this 2003 Accord, that uses oil like gasoline, and now is sitting somewhere with a seized up engine! My concern is that I own an '03 Accord with 78K on it right now and don't want to end up in the same boat.

I haven't found anywhere that you say if it was a 4 cyl or the 6 cyl. I think you are speaking of "regular" oil changes, how often (?), and I'm amazed that that much oil can go through and engine with not a clue of where it's going! How can that be possible?

I would also like and honest account of your driving habits. I get the feeling that this poor Accord has had the s**t beat out of it over the last 110K miles. I go 4,000 miles between oil changes and NEVER loose a drop of oil.

LVP (sorry for being a little blunt)

Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 AM

I suspect Honda is speculating that oil starvation was caused by lack of oil. It could be caused by blockage in an oil delivery channel as well. Was oil low/missing when checked after the siezure? If yes, then perhaps a mistake was made in reading the oil level 80 miles earlier, or something happened to allow engine oil to be lost; balance shaft seal ejected due to excess crankcase pressure for instance. There would be evidence of massive oil loss on engine parts and lower side of car.

Oil consumption of 1qt/1500 miles is high for Accords, but not ridiculous.

good luck

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord Engine Failure