General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord V6 Starter Relay Buzzer

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 03:56 PM
2003HondaAccordOwner
Unregistered
Default 2003 Accord V6 Starter Relay Buzzer

2003 Accord V6 3.0L SOCH 24-Valve VTEC with under 50,000 miles.

Turning key and it sounds like starter failure (the sound a car makes when you try to start an already started car). Sound comes from glove box area and not audible from outside of car.

Called around. One tech said that a limp wrist (ahem) could cause this and to turn the key with more force. This actually worked today when I tested that theory. However, why did this start happening now? Colder weather was upon us - car has low mileage - I'm just full of questions as to what's going on. At one point the car did not start and I quickly turned it off and waited and tried again and it did start. The noise appears to come and go and sometimes it lasts even after the car has started for a bit. I didn't really think that noise sounds like a buzz - more like heavy static (thought perhaps the speaker on passenger side was out of wack or something but radio was never on).

Received information regarding a Starter Relay Buzz about how Honda knows this is a "problem" but it's not a "fixable" one and tells dealers to tell customers to turn the ignition switch a little faster and the relay won't buzz.

In an October 2001 Service News from Honda:

"Starter Relay Buzzes
If you turn the ignition switch very slowly to start the engine, all Honda models except Passport have this little quirk: the starter relay buzzes. If your customer complains about it, don't spend your time trying to fix it; there's really nothing wrong. Just tell your customer to turn the ignition switch a little faster, and the relay won't buzz."

Okay - that was a direct quote (including the red italicized don't) from page 2 of the ServiceNews back in October of 2001 - I have a 2003 you'd think it would have been ummm not fixed because they say it's not broken but perhaps addressed to by 2003. This all JUST started happening a week or so ago and I have always started this Accord the same way, so why now does this come about?

There is a petition online somewhere asking people to sign. I noticed there were over 600 signatures on it asking Honda to deal with an ignition issue (not the recall everyone already knows about). I've had all recall work done on this vehicle as I am the only owner of this car.

Any thoughts out there? Appreciate it. Oh yeah, Dealer was told of problem and wants to charge me $115 for a diagnostic to see what's wrong with it - ain't life grand? Honda Customer Care told me to take it to a dealer and have a diagnostic run (laughing hysterically now). Full circle it would seem we've gone.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2003 Accord V6 Starter Relay Buzzer

Strange. In 60k miles, Ive never noticed that in our 2003 (4-cyl) Accord.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:07 PM
2003HondaAccordOwner
Unregistered
Default RE: 2003 Accord V6 Starter Relay Buzzer

Lucky you![8D] Now I'm wondering if this is a V6 problem. Anyone else out there?

2003HondaAccordOwner V6 3.0L EX

Old 10-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Default ditto

I have exact same problem with 2007 accord....Think they would of fixed this issue by now!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Default relay buzz

I have a 2.4 so not a v6 problem...what was the recall about???

Old 10-22-2010, 02:21 PM
Default hazard relay

If you found a fix please let me know......or are you just gonna live with it...I`d sell mine but it`d be kinda hard with the buzz,,,I really loved my Toyota never ever a problem and 280k...should of kept it it was probably good for another 280k.....Camry Rules! No joke

Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Default contact

Stop posting you email address. It can attract spamers to your inbox and site.

You can receive emails through your profile. Much safer! - PaHonda

Last edited by PAhonda; 10-22-2010 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:27 PM
Default turn signal relay

Are you sure it`s not the turn signal relay Buzzing?????

Old 10-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Administrator

If honda can't tell you..it must not be so..Just kidding of course..
I'm just glad I have absoulutey no problems with my cars..it would suck!

Old 10-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Default relay

I`am pretty sure its ur turn signal relay.take the snap off panels off to get to the relay its on the drivers side kick panel under the steering wheel little black or silver relay top right corner have some one turn the key to get it to buzz you will hear or feel it buzzing if you take it out turn signals wont work but ignition wont buzz havent clue why this is But check your turn signal relay I`am almost positive this is where your buzzing is coming from

Quick Reply: 2003 Accord V6 Starter Relay Buzzer