General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Accord Vibrates when AC is on

Old 05-22-2015, 07:21 AM
Default 2003 Accord Vibrates when AC is on

Hello All,
Please i need help, my accord 2003 vibrates when my air-conditioner is turned on, i have replaced the engine seatings and it seems to have greatly reduced.

But the problems still occurs, when i drive it for a while and am in traffic, it starts to vibrate again, not like before but it has been spoiling my compressor.
I have bought 3 compressors in the last 6 months. And just yesterday, the one i installed in February is not picking again.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:00 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

By "engine seatings" do you mean engine mounts?

If yes, were they OEM mounts, and which mounts did you replace? The forward and rear mounts have most to do w/ engine vibration.

There are posts that aftermarket mounts are too firm leading to vibration.

good luck

Old 05-22-2015, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
By "engine seatings" do you mean engine mounts?

If yes, were they OEM mounts, and which mounts did you replace? The forward and rear mounts have most to do w/ engine vibration.

There are posts that aftermarket mounts are too firm leading to vibration.

good luck
Thank you for your response, the engine seating are the engine mount.
Am not sure what you mean by OEM mounts, i replaced both the rear and the front mount.

Old 05-22-2015, 08:59 AM

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer (Honda Parts). There have been reports that aftermarket mounts are much firmer and lead to increased idle vibration. This honda mounts are soft and have a built-in hydraulic dampening function to suppress vibrations.

It's also possible that installer failed to reconnect vacuum supply to forward engine mount. This could also cause increased vibration by disabling the vibration suppression function.

good luck

Old 05-22-2015, 09:14 AM

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer (Honda Parts). There have been reports that aftermarket mounts are much firmer and lead to increased idle vibration. This honda mounts are soft and have a built-in hydraulic dampening function to suppress vibrations.

It's also possible that installer failed to reconnect vacuum supply to forward engine mount. This could also cause increased vibration by disabling the vibration suppression function.

good luck
Thanks a lot, where can i find OEM of those mounts, preferable online, i do not live in the US.
Can you elaborate more on the vacuum supply thing to enable me explain to my mechanic?

Old 05-22-2015, 09:40 AM

OEM parts are available from a number of online sources (google "honda OEM parts") and ebay will usually have some OEM parts for auction.

Front engine mount is equipped w/ a vacuum actuated valve that improves idle dampening. Vacuum line may be damaged or unattached. Vacuum solenoid could be stuck closed that supplies vacuum to the mount.

good luck

Old 05-22-2015, 12:42 PM

OEM parts are available from a number of online sources (google "honda OEM parts") and ebay will usually have some OEM parts for auction.

Front engine mount is equipped w/ a vacuum actuated valve that improves idle dampening. Vacuum line may be damaged or unattached. Vacuum solenoid could be stuck closed that supplies vacuum to the mount.

good luck
Thanks alot, the terms are a bit heavy, can i possibly see an image for this

Old 05-22-2015, 03:37 PM

Enclosed are image from shop manual and parts breakdown diagram.

Front engine mount is LH side of image. Go to a parts site for better size image.

good luck

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Accord Vibrates when AC is on-k24frontmount.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
K24_Front Engine Mount.pdf (59.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 05-22-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

Mikebuddy is in Nigeria. Is the car automatic or manual transmission?

I think the vacuum-operated engine mounts are only on the automatic trans cars.

Old 05-24-2015, 10:39 PM

Are all the bolts nice and tight, particularly the central through bolt?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2003 Accord Vibrates when AC is on