General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 EX V6 Complete Power Failure Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 03:15 PM
Unhappy 2003 EX V6 Complete Power Failure Problem

Hello all, I am hoping you can help me diagnose a power failure problem with my 2003 Honda Accord EX V6 4-door. It has happened on two occasions:

(1) Got into the car in the morning, overhead interior light came on upon opening the door, I inserted the key and turned it a quarter turn and all dashboard lights, etc, came on, turned the key further to where the engine would ignite. On getting to the maximum key turn, all power failed, no engine ignition or rotation, all interior lights went off. Sat in shock, tried it again a few seconds later, turned on fine.

(2) Made a U turn on a residential street. Cranked the wheel all the way counterclockwise. At maximum steering wheel turn, all power fails, engine dies. Put the car in park, turn key, car turns on fine.

Anyone have any ideas?

Potentially relevant other fact: Between occasions (1) and (2), the check engine emissions system light came on, but I don't know if the problems are related. Have not yet gotten that light diagnosed.

I recently installed a new battery, so the battery is probably not the problem. I live in Los Angeles. Battery connections are good, no build up, no lose clamps.

Thank you very much for any ideas!!

Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Recheck the battery connections to be sure they are clean and tight. First issue sounds like a bad ground.

Not so much in the 7th gens but the elect part of the key switch can go bad.....do you remember what if any lights were on in the dash when issue two happened?

Many parts stores, not in CA, will check for codes for free. Stop by one and ask them to check the codes and get the actual number from them....not their description.....it will begin with a "P" and four digits, like P0420 or P1257.