General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2003 Honda Accord: How to Replace Starter?

Old 12-13-2011, 04:01 PM
Default 2003 Honda Accord: How to Replace Starter?

So, I'm new here and did some searching and didn't find exactly what I'm looking for so I thought I'd make a post. I'm working on a 2003 Honda Accord with a 2.4 engine and automatic trans. It's been having slow sluggish starts and now wont crank over. It has a brand new battery but I tried jumping it anyway. My guess is that it's the starter. While holding the key in start, I heard a click and the engine slowly started to turn. But it doesn't fully turn over to start it. I located the starter behind the intake. What all do I have to do to change it? It seems like I gotta remove the intake along with unhooking all the plugs. Will I need a new intake gasket? Or is there some sort of reusable one? And what all do I need to know? Any help would be appreciated!
By the way, I'm not a rookie. I have worked on several cars and even rebuilt chevy and ford engines. I rarely work on these Honda type cars. And taking it to a shop is too much so I'm doing it myself. I just need some basics pointed out so I don't miss anything.
Thanks in advance!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 PM
Super Moderator

Copy and paste the link below into your browser. This is for the TSX engine, but the accord pretty much the same setup.

tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836078

Old 12-13-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Copy and paste the link below into your browser. This is for the TSX engine, but the accord pretty much the same setup.

tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836078
Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:24 PM

Tools You Need Prepare:
  • Replacement starter motor
  • Socket set
  • Wrench set
  • Hydraulic jack
  • Jack stands
  • Protective eyewear and gloves
  • Flashlight
  • Screwdriver set

Note: Take a couple pictures before your start taking stuff off so that we can get it back easy.

1> First thing we should disconnect the battery negative terminal. Lift the hood and remove the negative battery cable from the battery making sure the cable end is clear of the battery to avoid an accidental connection.

2> Next remove the intake tube from the throttle body going to the air filter box, you do not need to remove the air filter box.

3> Then, we need to remove intake manifold. There are 12 mm 6 bolts and nuts that is holding the intake manifold. Two on the top and 3 on the bottom of the intake manifold. Also, one 12 mm bolts intake manifold bracket that is holding in place, remove it.

4> If you want to remove intake manifold that you need make room for it. We can remove the beam above the battery. It is not difficult, just remove 6 bolts.

5> Finally, we can find the Honda CR-V Starter. There are two starter bolts 1 14 mm bolt on the top and 1 17 mm bolt on the bottom we need remove.

6> Once the old starter has been removed, match the replacement unit to ensure a proper installation.

7> After cleaning the mounting surfaces thoroughly, gently install the starter motor. (Note: Starters contain magnets which are brittle and can crack hindering the starter performance if not handled carefully.)

8> After all starter bolts have been installed, use a socket or wrench to tighten evenly and insert the positive battery cable onto the starter solenoid.

9> When reconnecting the negative battery cable, quickly (lightly) touch and release the cable to battery terminal, this quick check tests for a short circuit. Though a light (little) spark is normal, a large "zap" means there is a problem with the starter installation.

10> Once the job is complete, turn the ignition key to check the starter operation, if the starter does not work or makes abnormal noises, recheck the job wiring and starter mounting bolts.

hope it can help you.