General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Leak around oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 12:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Leak around oil filter

I am hoping someone can help. I have a 1997 Honda Accord SE, 2.2, with 148,000 miles.
I have an oil leak. I thought it was from the oil pan gasket. However, when I was under the car today it now seems that the leak is coming from around the oil filter. I say that because there is wet oil residue in that area.
The leak only seems to be at the rear.

It is not the filter, there is no extra gasket stuck there

I have cleaned the area off and will be monitoring it, but does anyone have any thoughts on what it could be?

Thanks for any insight!
Jeff

Old 04-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Super Moderator

Above the oil filter is the oil-pressure switch for the idiot light in the cluster. That's a sorta-common source of leaking. Oil leaks directly through the defective switch, coming out around the rubber boot where the wire attaches.

Old 04-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks Jim!

Is that something that requires a new switch or just a new gasket?
Does it screw out or pull out?

I'm going to be doing an oil change probably this afternoon. If that looks like the problem I would like to just take care of it now.

Thanks very much!!!!

Jeff

Old 04-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Above the oil filter is the oil-pressure switch for the idiot light in the cluster. That's a sorta-common source of leaking. Oil leaks directly through the defective switch, coming out around the rubber boot where the wire attaches.
Ahh Jim your awesome.

Old 04-16-2012, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

It screws out, and would likely need to be replaced.

You can get a new one for about $15 at your honda dealership.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator

If you get the switch from the dealer, ask about a gasket. Not sure, but I think there isn't one?? It may be a tapered thread (like NPT)?

Old 04-16-2012, 04:10 PM

There is no gasket they just have pipe threads on them, they get wider as you screw it in.

You can also just buy one from a local parts store, they cost about 5 bucks.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Finished

Thanks everybody.

I picked one up at one of my local Honda dealers for $21. They said there was no gasket.

The biggest problem I had was I didn't have a deep socket big enough (15/16ths). And of course I didn't realize this until the oil was drained from the car.
Luckily my mechanic is right down the street within bike distance and let me borrow one (he's a great mechanic if anyone needs one around New Haven, CT just ask).

Question... I was really concerned about over-tightening (especially after reading some posts) so I made it snug but I still could have gone tighter.

I did let it run for about 15 minutes (and returned the socket). I didn't see or feel any leaks. I plan to check again in a week. Does anyone think I should have tightened it more?

Thanks again everyone.
Jeff

Old 04-16-2012, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

I would think it would be fine, but I'm not sure on the actual torque specs on it. Just check it in a week or so, and if its not leaking your good to go.

And coincidentally enough I am in New Haven

Old 04-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks, and a pleasure to make your acquaintance! I am one town away in Hamden, but I do work downtown.
By the way, I'm a Pepe's fan

Quick Reply: Leak around oil filter