General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Accord EX security alarm question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 03:56 PM
Default 2004 Accord EX security alarm question

All,

First of all, thank you for all the valuable information you've given me up to this point. I've fixed quite a few issues with this car based on info I got from this forum. Here's a new one I can't figure out for the life of me and hope you can help me out.

Yesterday evening, my wife got home with the car and when she got out she tried to arm it, using the key fob. It wouldn't work. The doors made the sound of locking, but they didn't and the horn wouldn't honk after the second press, as it usually does. A few minutes later I tried it and it worked, honk and all. Then it didn't. Then it did. I checked all the doors, glove box, gas cap, trunk, hood, etc....all shut tight. Sometimes it will lock and arm, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will unlock/disarm, sometimes it won't.

I read about valet mode on this forum and tried that. Nothing.

I reprogrammed the fobs, based on this forums advice. They reprogrammed fine. Problem persisted.

I changed the fob batteries, cleaned their contacts...problem persisted.

I tested the car battery. It tested low. I changed it, relearned the fobs. Problem still continues.

I noticed that in the car when I use the panel button to lock/unlock the doors, the driver's side door lock post doesn't always go up/down all the way or if at all. So, I got out, manually locked the driver side door with the key, then pressed the arm button on the fob. All other doors locked and the horn honked with the second press.

Is it the door actuator that's causing all this? If it's bad and the driver's side door is not locking/unlocking completely or at all from the fob, could it be preventing the system from arming from the key fob?

Any advice is much appreciated and thank you in advance.

- Cody -

Old 08-18-2012, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

sounds like it. the multiplex unit is not recognizing the drivers door being locked due to the faulty actuator. it's a good place to start...you know it's bad anyway.