General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1998 Accord clutch problem

Old 04-02-2012, 04:23 PM
Cool 1998 Accord clutch problem

I've had my accord for 2 months, drove fine, then just a few days ago I noticed that in every single gear, the engine just revs when I try to accelerate...and I do not accelerate. I have to really baby the gas pedal to actually move, and again, it is the same in all gears. On a small sidenote, I noticed that before this happened, whenever I would be, say, in 4th gear, on the verge of where I should be getting ready to shift(around 3k RPM) if I did NOT shift, and just let the car drift in that gear, I would hear a discernible noise, seemingly coming from the transmission, although I guess it could of been coming from the exhaust instead.

With all the attempted research that I've done online so far, all signs point to a bad clutch and/or pressure plate. My question is, if it is true that the clutch/pressure plate are toast, what would the possible causes of this be?( I not once hotrodded the car at all, it's a point A to B car so I drive normally). Is it possible that the transmission caused this prematurely? Or something in the hydraulics system? Or maybe that it's at 140k miles and it just went caplute one day?

Also, I am going to attempt to change the clutch myself, any advice in that area would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thankyou in advance,

Matt

Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Super Moderator

Advise....new clutch kit, flywheel. Check everything during the process and replace anything that is worn. Last, I personally would replace the rear main seal...just me but I'd hate to be looking right at it during the change and then get a leak from it in 30K miles and have to do all of that work again....Just my opinion.