General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2004 Honda Accord LX fan stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Default 2004 Honda Accord LX fan stopped working

I am really hoping someone can help me. My fan stopped working a couple times (all speeds/heat and AC) over a couple of weeks..then one day it just stopped working all together. I checked all the forums online..figured it was the blower motor resistor...NOPE! We replaced it...All fuses/relays are working fine. The blower never made any weird noises..ever. Would it be safe to just replace the blower motor or is there something else it could be? All lights come on for AC and fan speeds etc...so I think the switchs are fine.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

I always suggest testing first before throwing parts at the problem.

The problem could be with the blower, but there are some other inputs (from the HVAC controls) that set the fan speed, supply power, etc... Do you have a volt meter?

I would suggest is to test for HVAC codes. If your car has climate control, there is a writeup in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum.

Another way to test is to unplug the electrical connector to the blower motor. Measure the voltage across the pins to the connector when the fan is on.

One other item that could cause your problem is the blower motor relay. Using a volt meter would be one way to figure out if there was no power getting to the blower. Another way to test a relay is to swap it with another identical relay. Your blower motor relay is #1 in the attached pic. Swap it with the a/c compressor clutch relay, #2 in the pic. The attached picture is of the fuse box in the engine bay. If the blower works and the a/c doesn't blow cold, then you determined the relay is the problem. This is simple to do, so maybe do this first.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails 2004 Honda Accord LX fan stopped working-untitled.jpg  

Last edited by PAhonda; 05-07-2013 at 11:23 PM. Reason: forgot to attach file
Old 05-07-2013, 11:54 PM

Thanks so much for your advice! We already did the relay test and the relay is fine. The only thing we didn't do was hook the blower motor directly to the battery to see if it worked..we were limited on time. We just gave the Accord to our daughter and she had to go home 5 hours drive away. Nothing like driving through pouring rain and storms with NO DEFROST! They had to keep rolling the windows down to see. We want to have her boyfriend try to install a new blower motor (knows NOTHING about cars)..so I thought I would ask for any other problems it could be first. There are no videos to have him watch to install a blower motor..but there are only 3 screws and 2 plugs..we are hoping he can manage that! Do you think there could be anything wrong with the controls? All the lights come on..Oh and I don't think it has climate control. Its just basic AC/Heat, fan dial with vent choices and defrost.

Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 AM

Oh...and yes..we have a voltage meter and used it on everything...all seemed ok. Are you talking about behind the controls? We didn't pull them..didn't want to tear the dash apart...hoping that isn't the problem!

Old 05-08-2013, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

You can have him try to get the HVAC codes. There is a link in the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum with a link on how to check HVAC codes on the 7th gen accord.

If you have him replace the blower, get an OEM one, because aftermarket ones only have two wires that you need to splice in. Replacing the blower should be easy. Hopefully there is enough room to drop the blower motor out.

Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Thanks for the tips!!!

Old 05-12-2013, 11:36 AM

Well...we had her do the caveman approach and hit the blower motor and it came on. Thus, we need to order a new one...hoping it works until she comes down again. Thanks again!