General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Honda Accord V6 Timing Belt & Waterpump Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
mark95
Unregistered
Default 2004 Honda Accord V6 Timing Belt & Waterpump Replacement

I am planning on replacing a timing belt and water pump on a 2004 Honda Accord v6 starting next week. I will try to take photo's and do a step by step procedure for record here. Purchased a new timing belt and waterpump from Honda yesterday for $183 plus tax. Also included 3 quarts of trans fluid and a gallon of antifreeze. Think I got ripped on the anti freeze ($15 for one gallon 50/50 mix) but I was at the dealer and wanted to replace with Honda spec.
Priced four dealers on belt and pump and found a $50 difference between high and low cost of parts. Daughters Honda has 102,000 miles. Any opinions on replacing pulleys, seals and tensioner at this point. My thought was to wait until next time, based on the mechanics responses I have gotten so far.
Borrowed a buddy's 3/4" impact wrench. Hope that has enough torque to losen crankshaft bolt. Will rent a breaker bar and harmonic pulley kit for pulley removal. No cost for purchase and return from Auto Zone. Don't know if I need a puller for the harmonic balancer. I am using directions from "All Data" for replacement of t-belt and pump. Do you need to use a gasket sealer along with the rubber gasket supplied?
Planning on taking four days to complete. (also doing tranny flush, oil, radiator flush etc. ) Hate to rush. Was told to transpose timing marks on old belt before removing to use as a check on new belt to be installed. Makes sense. Any other words of wisdom before I start? Thanks.

Mark

Old 06-10-2009, 03:16 PM

I don't have any words of wisdom because I have never changed a t-belt before (never had the patience or the guts to do it).
But I truly hope you can do a write up with some photos. I have never seen a write up on a V6, not to mention one so new.
Good luck!
We have many techs here: deserthonda (master tech), and hondadude (not sure if master tech, but I think he might be) are 2 that come to mind, plus we have our fair share of engineers that know a ton: Jimblake and Tony1M are a few
Also finch13 knows a whole lot (I think from DIY'ing basically everything on his cars)
I bet one of those guys could offer advice if you get in a bind.

I do plan on DIY'ing my tbelt job once the 2000 LX hits 210k (I'm at 155k now)

Last edited by 00AccordLX5spd; 06-10-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

On 3 different HondAcuras, I never needed a puller for the crank pulley. Once I got that (#*&$(@#*&$(*^& bolt loose, the pulley itself slides right off.

I never had a V-6, but for the valve cover gaskets, you use just a TINY bit of Honda-Bond (Permatex Ultra Grey) just in the sharp corners where the gasket goes over the cam-bearing caps.

Make sure you read up AND UNDERSTAND the timing marks before you take the old belt off. I love it when someone doesn't read ahead in the procedure, takes the belt off, and THEN asks us how the timing marks are supposed to line up.

Last edited by JimBlake; 06-10-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
mark95
Unregistered
Default waterpump

Thank you for you words of encouragement and suggestions. I was not clear regarding my question of gasket sealant. In replacing the waterpump a new rubber gasket is included with the new waterpump. Just wondering whether you guys use waterpump gasket sealant in addition to the new rubber gasket supplied?

Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

When I did my t-belt, I used Permatex RTV silicone (gasket maker, same thing as Hondabond) in addition to the water pump gasket.

Once you get the crank pulley bolt off, it gets a lot easier. Just double and triple check all the timing marks are aligned before you start it up.

Old 06-11-2009, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

I never had a V-6. On the 4-cyl waterpumps, that gasket is an O-ring. No sealant. Just make sure the O-ring groove & mating surfaces are clean & smooth.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by mark95
.................................................. .......
Borrowed a buddy's 3/4" impact wrench. Hope that has enough torque to losen crankshaft bolt.
Is the impact wrench pneumatic or electric? If it's pneumatic, I hope you have one helluva compressor to supply it.

You might find these informative:
(What I used to remove our 92's crank pulley bolt.)
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...1&postcount=34

(A little theory about how impact wrenches do their job, and the fallacy of fasteners tightening themselves over time.)
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...6&postcount=19

(Dealer removal or electric-impact rental options might be a good ones to consider.)
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...6&postcount=16

Good luck with the job. (And for removing that crank bolt, may The Force be with you!)

Old 06-30-2010, 02:37 PM

I just finished an '01 V-6 timing belt. I was fearing the worst after reading about everyones bad experiances with harmonic balancer bolts. I got one of the $30 holding tools from the abundance available on e-bay, squared up the wrenches and got mine off with one good hard crank. As for timing the cams, I checked with the dealer who told me to line up the number '1' mark on the front camp pulley with the hash mark behind it on the block, then line up the solo hash mark on the rear pulley with it's 12 o'clock block mark. The crank pulley then is obviously keyed, so you just turn the cams once the belt is set til it lines up. Just in case, I marked my old belt to all the pulleys before I started and in the end they lined up perfectly using the dealers advice. It's always a good test to turn the whole rotating assembly over several times by hand before you start the engine to check for clearance.

Old 07-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Default pulley bolt

Does the pulley bolt turn clockwise or counter clockwise?

Old 07-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

Righty-tighty
lefty-loosy
just like any other normal bolt.

Quick Reply: 2004 Honda Accord V6 Timing Belt & Waterpump Replacement