General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord stopped driving, can't figure this out

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Default 93 accord stopped driving, can't figure this out

This is my first time posting here, and I have searched through this thoroughly to try and figure my problem out and nobody seems to have exactly what I do.

So, a few weeks ago I purchased my first Honda, a 93 accord with 130000 miles on it. When I purchased it everything seemed fine, I actually drove it from nj to Florida and back since then with no issue. Except, that since I got it the d4 light was blinking and when I put it into d4 to drive it seemed like the gears were not shifting smoothly, (and it is an automatic).

One day I was doing a short drive to the super market and was going 50 but the gears were not shifting, I was going 50 and the r.p.ms were going crazy, as if it was still in second. I thought that when I got home I'd figure out what was wrong before driving again, but did not make it home. As I pulled out of the parking lot everything seemed fine and I stopped at the exit and waited for traffic to pass, stepped on the gas and nothing. Nothing happened, as if I was in neutral. I put it in park to try and restart, but when I put it in park it started making a high pitched grinding sound. I turned it off and started again same thing.

So, now I have this car and have gone through everything I can find, this is where I'm at now::I checked the TCU thinking perhaps there was a short circuit or a capacitor burned out and what I found was a TCU that had been replaced at some point and is fairly new with no burn outs, BUT it is not the correct TCU for the car, does not match photos of what it's suppose to be and the casing does not fit properly in it's place. It must have been working though since I was able to drive so I cannot make sense of it's possible failure although everything seemed to point to it. I tried disconnecting the battery and redrafting, the issue persists.

I have gotten a few possible suggestions but before I take it to a mechanic I want to try and self diagnose and see if I can fix it myself. One suggestion was a broken axle, but I don't quite understand why these other symptoms occurred if it was that. Another suggestion was the linkage in the transmission but a mechanic at struass said it was not that or the trans fluid. Another idea is torque converter but again I just can't put all of these symptoms together to explain it. I have an issue trusting mechanics and want to know if anyone is familiar with this. Please help!!

Last edited by Madamada; 03-16-2012 at 01:27 PM. Reason: I did not realize when I wrote this that a paragraph written as a paragraph was not easy to understand.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Can you rewrite your post using the "ENTER" key after each sentence or 2?

If you want help at least take the time to write in a manner that is easy to understand.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

It may still be TCU related. If you haven't already seen this link, read this:

Honda Electronic Transmission Problem- Troubleshoot, Inspection, Repair, Replace.

Also, check the resistors.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:45 PM

After reading through this again I am wondering if it is a solenoid problem. If they had to be replaced is this an expensive problem? Could it still be the computer itself even though it appears to be fine? What is the computer fail safe strategy mentioned?

Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Check for codes. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to checking engine codes. Just count the D4 light flashes. Post the codes on here.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:56 PM

Ok, yes, I will do that asap, but am also very concerned with the sound it makes when goes into park. It is loud and frightening.

Old 03-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Thank you for editing your post.

Sadly the Honda Auto Trans have longevity issues and most of the time once they start giving problems they rarely go back to normal.

A few people have had success by either or both cleaning the screen on the solenoids and draining and filling the trans fluid a few times.

In my personal experience, when my trans started to go, it went - I had no warning and I thought that the miles was way too low as I only had 135K miles on the car.

I would bet that you are going to need a replacement transmission, it is all too common on our cars.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:28 PM

Hi, so I finally got my codes, does anyone know where there is a site to self diagnose the codes? I cant seem to find anything helpful....

Old 03-19-2012, 05:52 PM

Actually, figured it out. It is Code 13 :: the Main Shaft Speed Pulse Generator either open or shorted. I called a Honda Dealership and their answer was to replace the entire transmission, no help at all. Call AAMCO and they said the part is connected to the solenoids outside of the transmission and I am looking at a much smaller problem. All of the issues I was having pointed to the solenoids, and that is what I thought it was. But my concern now is whether I have ruined my transmission by allowing it to get to a point where my car is no longer running? Is anyone familiar with this issue? Any suggestions?

Old 03-19-2012, 06:14 PM

When mine blew it was the "Main Speed Sensor Code" that showed on the TCU.

It was not the sensor, however, it was a blown transmission.