General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 v6 EX Start issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM
Default 2000 v6 EX Start issues

This is my first post so I hope I get the relevant info on here. 2000 honda accord v6 EX with 150,XXX miles on it.

About 1 in 20 times i go to start my car I have this issue. All other starts are fine. Car idles really rough for about 35 seconds. The engine rumbles enough to shake the whole care and there is a clicking noise. While this happens the check engine light flashes and comes on. However after about 35 seconds it returns to running normally and the light goes away. The check engine light has not lasted long enough to log an error much to my frustration and the humor of the guys with a computer.

I have replaced the spark plugs and checked all the ignition coils. It is random and driving me insane. At one point, I feared it was bad gas and ran clean out through everything. Timing belt was replaced at 115xxx. Oil was changed two weeks ago in between the start of this issue and the more recent occurences.

The thing that is strange to me is that after this happens the car runs great. It does not happen every time and does not appear to be related to how long the car sits or the temp outside.

Any ideas? Any other info I could provide that would help? thanks for reading and any advice.

Have a good day.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

Strange that the CEL flashes (usually a bad thing when it flashes) and there are no stored codes.

Did this start recently, last month or two? Where I'm going is there is a TSB or Service Bulletin on some of these having a "vapor lock" issue. It usually shows up when the winter blend of gas is being sold.

Anyway, where is the clicking noise coming from....left side of the dash?

Old 11-23-2013, 12:21 PM
Default re:

I clicking noise is coming from the front right area(sitting in drivers seat perspective) of the engine compartment. I am not positive unfortunately but will check when it happens again.

The gas issue is what I first thought and why I ran berrymans through the engine but I am not aware of the vapor issue you mention. I should also note, I live in Oklahoma and have access to ethanol free gas. It is all I use in my car.

First noticed this maybe 2-3 months ago but because of the randomness I thought the issue was resolved with the berrymans, new spark plugs, and ignition coil cleaning.

Thanks for the response and have a good day

Old 12-14-2013, 06:35 PM

Exactly, word for word of what you said is happening to my 2000 EX.. Have you figured it out?

Old 12-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Default not yet

I have not had the issue since I posted in this forum. Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue that is very random. Since the problem started I have cleaned the ignition coils, changed the spark plugs, pulled out the IAC valve and cleaned it, replaced several vacuum hoses, and run sea foam or berrymans through the fuel system. My car is running better but to be honest, I do not know if the problem is fixed or not at this point.

I cleaned the IAC valve and air intake area because my car had also started to idle strangely upon starting up.

Any luck with your issue?