General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 Accord LX - No dash lights when headlights on

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Default 99 Accord LX - No dash lights when headlights on

My son and I just replaced the radio in my '99 Accord LX. With headlights off, the clock lights up, the odo lights up, everything works fine. When I turn on the headlights, I have no dash lights but everything else works fine. We've checked all the fuses and all work. [/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Default RE: 99 Accord LX - No dash lights when headlights on

not to sound insulting but there is one simple thing that I have overlooked one to many times to not mention it... Have you checked the dash board dimmer switch?

Old 01-04-2008, 06:45 PM

I appreciate any help, so no offense taken. My car has a dimmer **** to the left of the odometer that I have turned all the way both ways without any effect on the dash lights. I'm not aware of any other switch that would affect the dash lights. [/align]

Old 01-04-2008, 08:08 PM

so, can you provide more details?

what was done to the radio? replacement with another honda radio or you installed an aftermarket deck?

with the headlights on all the background illumination things(i.e. radio, shifter lights, a/c controls, etc) illuminate but the gauge assembly doesn't? the entire gauge assembly? needles included?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Do the front side marker lights work? Do the tail lights work? Do the brake lights work?

Old 01-04-2008, 09:32 PM

Swapped the original radio for a JVC unit. The original radio had wire connectors for illumination and dimming that the new radio did not. There was a little confusion while installing the radio and the dimmer and illumination wires were momentarily connected to the wire for the accessory terminal in the fuse block. That was corrected and the radio works perfectly.

To check, we took the new radio out and put the old radio back. That did not correct the problem.

With the headlights on, there are no illumination lights for the gauge assy, the clock doesn't light up, and there are no lights behind the environmental controls.

Thanks again for your help.
[/align]

Old 01-05-2008, 01:13 AM

ok, so quick question.... is it possible that I just burned out the dimmer switch? If so, are there any posts on how to swap it out?

Thanks
[/align]

Old 01-05-2008, 01:17 AM

wow, look at all that extra very informative information...
it's late, i'll look at the etm tomorrow if that's not a problem and see what i can find.

Old 01-05-2008, 06:47 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: msteadley

ok, so quick question.... is it possible that I just burned out the dimmer switch? If so, are there any posts on how to swap it out?

Thanks
[/align]
My guess is a popped fuse.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:23 AM

I will double-check the fuses later today, but that's the first thing we checked and they were all fine.

Really do appreciate your help.

Learning as I go.
[/align]

Quick Reply: 99 Accord LX - No dash lights when headlights on