General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2005 Accord LX 2.4 IVTEC - vibrates at 60-65 mph

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Default 2005 Accord LX 2.4 IVTEC - vibrates at 60-65 mph

Dear forum members,

I recently purchased 2005 Accord LX 2.4 IVTEC and iam very happy about it.

But Iam having few issues with my honda. Iam listing down the issues with the probable solutions that I have in mind. Please guide me through.. If Iam on the right track.. and also what would be the best way to address my issues.

1. My car vibrates/ wobbles at speed between 60-65 mph. it shakes as though the front tyres are tightly fixed. as soon as I lower my speed or increase my speed it goes away.
-- Iam thinking its some wheel alignment/Wheel balancing issue. Will go to PEPboys to fix it out. Can it be something else?

2. The Keyless entry keyfob stopped working. The lights glow and the horn honks and iam able to open the trunk through it but the doors are not unlocking.
--> the dealer said that it was a new keyfob that he programmed. I researched and found the way to programme you keyfob. Will re-programing the same keyfob again solve the issue? or it wont?

3. The Audio panel display works but the light is not glowing at the background.

Please guide me through the best solution. Iam pretty worried about the first issue with the car.

Thanks a lot guys.

Abhishek

Old 01-29-2012, 06:49 PM

vibration is most likely a wheel alignment or unbalanced tires.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:16 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Wheel vibrations can be caused by a whole myriad of issues:

-A wheel may be loose or not seated all the way against the hub.
-The tires are old and worn out.
-The tire(s) are out of balance.
-A rim is bent.
-If the tire is new, it could also be defective(yes it happens).
-A brake rotor can actually do this if it is worn. If a rotor gets warped, or has rust in an unbalanced way, this could happen.
-A suspension issue (bushings, tie rods, etc.)
-Worn/damaged wheel hubs or excessive wheel hub runout.

In this order, I would do the following because I suggest the FREE thing first!

1. Jack the car up. Check to see that all of the wheels are seated all the way on the hub, then tighten appropriately.
2. if #1 wasnt the problem, go to Pepboys or another reputable alignment/wheel shop. Have them recheck wheel balance. They can also check to see if the rim is bent/not rotating correctly.
3. If #1 and #2 dont fix it, you should probably take it to a REPUTABLE repair shop that you know and have them take a look at it.

I hope tightening/balancing will fix the problem. Good luck. Post up with results!

-Eric

Old 01-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Whan you jack up the car (#1) give each wheel a spin. Look to see whether it's spinning straight & true. You can see that for yourself.

Most balancing machines have a cover over the spinning wheel, so they might not notice a bent rim if you don't specifically ask them to look.

If you can find a place that has a Hunter GSP9700 wheel-balancing machine... that machine presses the tire onto a roller during the balancing process. That's supposed to detect defects in the tire carcass that aren't always visible.