Go Back   Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums > General > General Tech Help
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-04-2011, 10:32 PM

Default 2005 Accord - Timing Belt or Chain?

Does the 2005 Accord 2.4L have a timing chain or a belt. When I went to buy a belt it tells me its a chain. What is the recommended mileage change?

Thanks
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Honda Accord Forum!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator
2005 Acura TSX

Chain.

There is no maintenance interval for the chain. Based on my TSX with a similar K24 engine, there is an access cover to look at the hydraulic tensioner. If the tensioner arm is past 13.5 mm, then replace the chain and guides. I would check the manual (see below).

I would recommend that you buy a pdf of the shop manual. I got one from automanualsource on Ebay for ~$20 for my TSX. It is worth the investment. It will pay for itself if you do one simple DIY on your Accord.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:15 PM

You shouldn't ever change the timing chain. It is intended to last the life of the car.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:33 PM
Super Moderator

No, there ARE times when you should do the chain. Like PA says, you look at how far the tensioner is extended. It's not some automatic "every xxx miles", and it's sorta unusual for the chain to stretch during the normal life of a car. But if you drive tons of miles, or if you keep the car until the wheels fall off, you might eventually need to replace the chain & sprockets.
my kids have Civics
Old 04-26-2013, 10:37 AM
2005 Honda Accord

Cool My 2005 LX 5 speed manual timing chain

I'm a new guy here, so, if I post something "dumb" please tell me.

First-of all, my mechanic told me that, as a matter of course, I should change the timing chain. (He actually told me it was a timing BELT).
How true is that, in general ?
How certain can I be that I have a timing chain, and not a timing belt ?

I have 193,000 beautiful miles on my 2005 LX 4 door 4 cyl 5 speed man.

Second question is : how easy is it to locate and check the tensioner ?

Third question on the serpentine belt : Should I go with original honda, or, is a premium NAPA or AUTO Zone belt sufficient ?

THANKS !
Old 04-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Super Moderator

According to my resources your engine has a timing chain. As a general rule, timing chains are good for the life of the engine.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Honda has a code for the chain being stretched beyond its serviceable life. P0341, when the chain stretches to that point the cam and crank sensors become out of phase. no choice at this point but to replace chain and tensioner. regular oil services with the recommended grade (i use synthetic) will give you at least 250k miles or more.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

On the serp belt, if I had to pick between the three you listed - OE or compare the price to NAPA -at NAPA their belts are made by gates.

My child arrived just the other day, he came to the world in the usual way

Heaven is in the palm of my hand and it is waiting here for you, what I am I suppose to do with a childhood tragedy
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 AM

Tags
2005, 2005accord, 24, 24l, accord, acura, belt, chain, coupe, honda, life, miles, schedule, timing, tsx