General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2006 Accord 4 cyl hard to start

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 09:30 AM

You can always try the follow. Run the fuel gauge down to 1/8 of a tank, and a can of BG 44k fuel system cleaner, then add a couple of gallons of gasoline (do not fill the tank) as you just want to mix it up in the fuel. Drive the car until you absolutely have to put more fuel in and then fill the tank. The BG 44k cleaner is extremely good at cleaning fuel system parts and can often be found at other dealership parts counters as Honda dealers typically do not carry it. Locally I have my rep to get it from, but I know that the local Subaru and Hyundai dealers typically have it in stock. I have run it through many Honda's where there was a fuel delivery issue with good results. You won't find it at any parts store. You can also call BG and ask for the contact info for the rep in you area and see if they can meet you someplace to get some.

Old 07-24-2015, 09:57 AM

Is this product available in Canada?

Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 AM

You can always check the fuel pressure before and after the filter. If the fuel pressure is normal before the filter and low after the filter then it may be the filter, although I must say it is very uncommon unless dirty fuel has been used. You can also measure the drop in fuel pressure at the fuel rail after the car is shut off which can help indicated a failure in the check valve.

Old 07-27-2015, 10:23 AM

If it were a filter problem wouldn't there be other signs when it is running? I'll see if I can locate a gauge to test the pressure at the fuel rail.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:16 PM

Yesterday I had my boss take a look since he was a mechanic for 30+ years. It started okay 3 times in a row but shut it off then back on the forth time and it sputtered and did it again for a couple of more starts. He noted that he thought if it were a pressure issue then when you shut it off and then back on that it shouldn't happen. He also felt that the noise was the clutch on the starter.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:28 AM

Anyone for comments on the starter noise or ruling out the filter? Come to think of it, the starter really seemed to labor in the winter time, it never really cranked like previous Honda's I've owned, even after replacing the battery.
Okay did the pressure test at the fuel rail, turn the key on 52 then down to 46 right away. After 15 min. it did not move off 46. Start car with no pressure loss. Turn key off and left for 2 hours, down to 38. Turn key on and same as first test.

Last edited by dctaz37; 08-02-2015 at 01:57 PM. Reason: fuel pressure test
Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 PM

Summary:

I bought this car 2 years ago and it now has 172,000km. The motor cranks over fine but it doesn't start right away. When cranking it sometimes makes a funny sound like air being squeezed out, the noise sounds like the clutch on the starter. If you stop cranking then start again, it starts. I replaced the plugs not too long ago but it didn't make a difference.

The starter really seemed to labor in the winter time, it never really cranked like previous Honda's I've owned, even after replacing the battery.

Did a pressure test at the fuel rail, turn the key on 52 then down to 46 right away. After 15 min. it did not move off 46. Start car with no pressure loss. Turn key off and left for 2 hours, down to 38. Turn key on and same as first test.

Ran the tank down until the gas light appeared, put fuel conditioner/cleaner in. Added 10 liters and ran that down. No difference. One trick I found is if I crank it over once, stop, then crank again it always starts right away.

Any ideas what to try next? Thanks.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:51 AM

Does anyone have suggestions? I may have to bring it in to the dealer.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A faulty fuel pressure regulator might have similar symptom; leaking slightly increasing time to come up to stable fuel pressure. If leaking constantly, the fuel pressure may be slightly low.

Both leaking fuel pump check valve and leaking fuel pressure regulator would experience leak-down of fuel pressure when pump goes off.

It is easy to replace fuel pressure regulator, but difficult (relatively) to replace fuel pump.

good luck

Old 08-20-2015, 02:04 PM

It sounds like this is going to get expensive. Is it normal to turn the key on and hit a pressure and then instantly go down to a set pressure? Are the numbers I have for the pressure test what they should be? "key on 52 then down to 46 right away"

Quick Reply: 2006 Accord 4 cyl hard to start