General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2007 Accord Timing Chain Help

Old 07-19-2011, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator

The 7th and 8th generation Accords 4 cylinders uses a timing chain instead of a timing belt. The 7th and 8th generation V6 uses a belt.

From what I heard, this issue many times is due to oil level getting low, lost oil pressure and the chain skipped a few teeth due to the lack of oil pressure.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yoyoyada it's a timing chain on the car, it's a 2007 Accord with the 2.4L 4-cylinder engine, I thought it had a belt too, but I've even talked to Honda and it's a chain that is not supposed to have to be replaced. Hopefully I'll be able to get a quote tomorrow and I'll post it up here so you guys can see what their trying to charge me for. Thanks for the help.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

So the price is so high because they need to replace the whole timing chain assembly. Spoke to a couple other service places and they've never seen anything like it. Usually it jumps 1 or 2 teeth but this one was 9. I have talked to Honda, they checked my service history and they are seeing what they can do for me.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 PM

They can cut that price in half, at least. Good luck

Old 07-28-2011, 02:01 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Honda has come back to say that the dealership is blaming the problem on sludge buildup in the engine. They have all records of my oil changes and are saying they cannot help because of the findings from the dealership

Old 07-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

You had oil changes on schedule or before? At the DEALER? With receipts?

I'm pretty sure the owners manual calls for 10,000-mile oil changes, with 5,000 miles for "severe service". You said you changed it even more often than that. Sludge comes from not changing your oil on time, or using crappy-quality oil. Both of which can be addressed by your service receipts...??

But OTOH, you ARE beyond the warranty period.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Had oil changes on time at the dealer. Called the service manager last night, now the valves are at the machinists shop could possibly need to be rebuilt at $400 or replaced at another $2,000, I never authorized any of this work, he said he would call me with full details this morning, but I have yet to hear anything. Have also left another message with Honda America, and no response. If you are in the Maryland are DO NOT USE JIM COLEMAN HONDA.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:35 PM

looks like the 2.4's are chain driven . how many miles do you have and I would guess that the chain pensioner let go prematurely . honda has to take some of the blame for this

Old 08-01-2011, 08:47 PM

check the laws in your state . I remember in N.Y. ( but this was over 40 years ago ) we couldn't do any work on a customers car with out their authorization. that law probably got trashed when they trashed the constitution though.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by hobieslug45
check the laws in your state . I remember in N.Y. ( but this was over 40 years ago ) we couldn't do any work on a customers car with out their authorization. that law probably got trashed when they trashed the constitution though.
Aint that the truth.. And I have an 07 Accord and got very curious and had to go look at my car and surely enough it is a chain... very strange... And yeah you shouldn't have to replace this I would do as said above and contact Honda of America and see what they can do. And my best bud works at a dealership and he says they do have difficulty (for some dumb reason) sending people maintenance records when they need them the most, esp for reasons like this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Accord Timing Chain Help