General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Dash/Gauges not working, Please Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Default Dash/Gauges not working, Please Help!!!

Hey,

I recently purchased a 96 accord LX 4dr. it was hit in the drivers door post, has had the door replaced, i have rewired the door, but now my issue is I have no gauges. The fuse for that cluster is good, so i am wondering if anyone knows what could be the problem... all my fuses are good, and i have found no visible damage to the wiring, so i'm at a loss for what could be causing this issue... I have no Tach, no Speedometer, or any other gauges, plus no dash lights.. BUT - - - I do have the dummy lights, like battery, check engine, etc. hope this helps narrow it down..

If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate it.

Eli

Old 12-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Default RE: Dash/Gauges not working, Please Help!!!

Not to sound dumb or anything but have you pulled the cluster out and checked the wiring? If so, test for voltage to each one, if you've got nothing and all the fuses are good then start tracing the wires....

Do your temp, and/or fuel indicator guages work?

Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

All gauges run off the 10A fuse No. 1 (lower left of 3 fuses in bottom row of fuses) in the under-dash fuse box.

There are several grounds for the items at fault, so loss of power supply seems more likely. If fuse no. 1 is good, then you likely have a wiring fault that must be traced from fuse box to gauge panel. If someone has installed an aftermarket stereo or security system, check their wiring.

good luck

Old 12-03-2007, 12:48 PM

No, my gas gauge, temp gauges, etc, none of them work. Thats what gets me, how can my battery light, etc. work when the gauges dont?

i tried tracing the wires, but under the dash is a nightmare...lol

are there any relays, etc. that contribute to the dash gauges? only reason i asked is because the blinker/hazard relay was damaged in the accident, and there are two more relays next to it that could or could not be damaged.

Thanks for the quick reply!!!!]

Eli

Old 12-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Battery lights, turn signals, high/low beam indicator, CEL, Trans Shift Position Indicator are on separate circuits is why they work.

Loss of power somewhere, you need to start digging. If not fuse, it may be tedious.

good luck

Old 12-03-2007, 12:59 PM

There are lots of various components that run each guage so the chances of your temp sensor, vss, and fuel sending unit all being bad and causing all the guages to go out is slim....

there is a yellow wire that goes to your check engine light. This wire actually forms a T at some point and another yellow wire goes to your speedo/guages, start at the CEL light follow the yellow wire and look for it to intersect with another yellow wire that goes to the speedo.

Also, you should have a yellow wire at the VSS that has power when the dash lights are on.

Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM

okay let me check on it and i'll get back to you...

thanks for the help everyone!!!

Eli

Old 12-03-2007, 02:14 PM

okay, i pulled the dash apart, and removed to cluster of gauges...

on top there is three green plugs, one bigger than the other two, and i used a test light and have power to all three plugs on at least some of the wires... i can get colors if it will help anyone,

not any of the yellow wires on any of the plugs have power...

what now?

Old 12-03-2007, 02:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you checked both fuses ?? uder dash Fuse # 1 ,,10 amps,, and underhood fuse # 32, 15 amps

Old 12-03-2007, 02:53 PM

If your dash lights like Check engine light come on then you must have power to at least the yellow wire going to them (I'm basing this on the assumption that you have the same wiring schematics/colors as a 94..), did you check the #32 fuse under the hood as DH mentioned?

Quick Reply: Dash/Gauges not working, Please Help!!!