General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need some advice please

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Default Need some advice please

Okay I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX
My car started idling very hard so we immediately took it to the shop. They said it needed a tune up, so thats what we did.
We got it back a day later it started doing it again. Took it back and they said one of the spark plug cables were loose. So then it was fine again for about 2 weeks.
Then- on the way home one night the RPM needle was going up and down. Then the clock reset its self then the car died. It wouldnt restart. It would turn over but just wouldnt stay started. So we took it to the shop again. This time they said it was the ignition switch AND the wiper switch.They said if you have your wipers on the car stays started!! Which I thought was odd. So they said it would be 565.00 to fix. I said no. I found a whole steering column on ebay for 75 and it had both parts I needed. I had my brother in law replace it. And then the car ran fine for 2 more weeks. Now it is starting the same thing again. It idles really hard and the RPM needle jumps. When your stopped at a light it sounds like it might die. So far it hasnt stopped running but I dont want to drive it anywhere fear of it breaking down. Please Please can someone help me. I have researched some and what I have came up with is either something like an igniter module?? or the car computer? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks- Lindsay

Old 06-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Super Moderator

Was the ignition switch replaced?

Edit: I missed the part that the steering column had the ignition switch.

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-24-2012 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:46 AM

Yes the ignition switch and the wiper switch were both replaced

Old 06-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

When you start the car, does the Check Engine Light come on at least for about 2 seconds and then off? If it does come on for about 2 seconds and then turn off, it is a good sign for the car computer.

There is a blue connector plug under the passenger dash, you can jump the connector with a wire or small paper clip to see if there are any trouble codes. I believe in the DIY sticky above, there is more instructions. But, if you need it, I can also post more info.

Some idling problems on your car can be due to a dirty idle control valve. See this link regarding cleaning:

Cleaning IACV, FITV and TB - Honda-Tech

Old 06-24-2012, 12:21 PM

When you start the car the engine light comes on and stays on, but that has always been like that. I've taken my car to auto zone before to get the trouble codes but it seems like it makes everything more confusing because it prints out like 3 pages of them! And I no NOTHING about cars. So all those codes make me insane because I dont even know where to start. And with the idling, it doesnt idle hard all the time just when this occuring problems comes along it does that. It confuses me why Ive done 2 things to fix the problem and it goes away but the same thing happens again in a week or two. Im baffled?

Old 06-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Can you post the actual trouble code numbers (for example: P0141, etc.)? We don't really need Autozone's descriptions from their printout, only the code numbers.

The idling problem may be due to a dirty idle control valve, etc.; but, the codes may narrow down some issues.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:05 AM

lindsay hun Redbull is rite!if you type in the codes it would help us help you so we can tell you what those trouble codes mean! now im stuck here cuz now you have me woundering what could be the issue here 3 pgs.long?so plz send us those codes ASAP!

Old 06-25-2012, 10:18 AM

So you want me to take it to auto zone and get the codes or do that thing with the blue connector with the wire?

Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Go to Autozone to get the OBD-II trouble codes read. There are more OBD-II trouble codes and a little more specific than the codes you can get with the blue connector. -- Post the actual trouble code numbers.

Your 1996 was when Honda went from OBD-I to OBD-II. Your car is the last generation Accord which had both diagnostic ports. -- I only mentioned the blue connector as I wasn't thinking as clearly when I first posted.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:51 AM

Okay here are the code numbers-

P0401
Faulty EGR Valve
Blocked EGR Passages in engine

P1300
Check ignition system for faults
Check for rich or lean Air fuel ratio
Check for mechanical condition
Multiple Cylinder Misfire 2, 3, and 4

Also I want to add when you start the car it is fine for about 10 minutes and then
after about 10 minutes is when it starts to act up. I dont know if that matters.

Quick Reply: Need some advice please