General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2012 Accord USB won't charge my Droid3

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 11:10 AM
Default 2012 Accord USB won't charge my Droid3

I have a 2012 Accord and the USB cable plug won't charge my Droid3. I use a 12v adapter and plug into either one of the cig plugs and find those won't charge my phone either. When I'm at work, I can plug the same USB charging cable into my PC and the phone will charge. In my old car, a 1999 Saturn, my adapter and cable would charge the phone.

So, something isn't right with 12vdc plugs in the Accord. I went to the dealer yesterday and they verified the plugs and the USB cable plug are getting 12+ dc volts so that seems right.

Anyone else have this problem and how can I solve it?

Thanks for any help...

Old 07-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Not really the same setup that you have but, I have noticed
1. Cheap cables from Amazon or Ebay are generally junk and don't last long at all, I'm talking days or weeks until they fail.
2. There is no power at all to any of the power ports unless the key is in and at the "On" position.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

In the owner's manual, it states "Some devices cannot be powered or charged via the USB adapter. If this is the case, use the accessory adapter to supply power to your device."

When you have the key turned to Accessory (l) or ON (ll) and it doesn't charge, it may be a compatibility issue with the Android based device.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Just want to make sure I understand your setup.

You have a USB charging cable that has the micro-usb adapter for your phone and the standard usb cable adapter for your computer.

When you plug into your computer, the phone charges.

When you plug it into a USB adapter for the cigarette lighter, the phone won't charge?

Is that cigarette lighter a new adapter? Have you using this setup to charge your phone in a different car?

Old 07-14-2012, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

There's a USB adapter cable inside the armrest storage console. The radio can play certain file formats and from certain devices with the auxiliary control. Honda has been a little behind on auxiliary device compatibility. Honda mentions the iPod in their owner's manual as being compatible; but, still defers to Apple for certain questions. Other devices can possibly be used; but, may not be fully compatible.

On a side note: The 2012 Honda CR-V is the first Honda to be compatible with Pandara Internet Radio; kind of shows Honda is moving a little slowly with the times in terms of software integration with auxiliary devices and apps (software).

Attached Thumbnails 2012 Accord USB won't charge my Droid3-usb-adapter-cable.jpg  
Old 07-15-2012, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Is that cigarette lighter a new adapter? Have you using this setup to charge your phone in a different car?
Yes, the same cable and adapter worked in my 99 Saturn (charged my Droid3 just fine) before I traded it in on the 2012 Accord. Now that same cable and adapter won't charge it.

I have tried another cable and 2 other adapters...same results: won't charge the phone.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

That cigarette lighter should get 12V when the key is on. There isn't really anything special for a cigarette lighter. I wonder if something is wrong with the adapter.

This is something that the dealership should handle on such a new car.

You may want to look in the owner's manual to see if there is a way to cut off power to it, but I doubt it. Maybe check your fuses.

Is there only one cigarette lighter in your car?

Old 07-16-2012, 11:55 AM

There are two 12vdc adapters and both won't charge my phone.

The adapter worked in my old Saturn just fine.

I bought two new adapters and they won't work charging my phone either.

I tried two USB cables, same results.

I went to the dealer and they checked the voltage at the outlets and both had 12+ VDC.

So, I'm puzzled...

Old 07-27-2012, 12:36 PM

Problem Solved!!

I went to Walmart and bought yet another 12vdc adapter and this one worked! My Droid3 now actually charges when plugged into either one of my 12vdc plugs.

The 12vdc adapter that works is:

PowerJolt Universal
by Griffin
10 watt charge/2.1 amps charging
$14.98 at Walmart

Old 07-28-2012, 11:08 PM

More information:

I discovered that there are two amp ratings for 12vdc chargers: Approximately 1.0 amp and approximately 2.0/2.1 amps. I needed the 2.0/2.1 amp charger to charge my Droid3 smart phone.

There are several companies making 2.0+ amp chargers, so to charge your smart phone, just make sure you get a 2.0+ amp charger and not a 1.0 amp charger. At Walmart I found 3 companies making 2.0+ chargers to choose from.