General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord has cabin pressure fluttering?

Old 11-11-2012, 07:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2013 Accord has cabin pressure fluttering?

Hey guys,

Just got a 2013 Accord EX-L V6, it's a great car.

I have 160 miles on it. Today in idle, there was a fluttering in the cabin pressure, I could feel it in my ear drums. Cracking any of the windows a tiny bit would immediately fix the problem, and it comes back as soon as you close all the windows. Turning on the recirculation air also fixes the problem. So it seems to me there is probably a designated intake/outlet vent for the air, is there a flap or something that might be flapping causing this pressure flutter? Haven't emailed the dealer yet, hoping to fix it myself if it's minor.

earl

Old 11-11-2012, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure the moonroof is fully closed. Sometimes, if it is slightly open, it will cause what you describe.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Moonroof is closed

Actually, I'm familiar with the moonroof pressure flutter, and this is very similar. However, the car is not moving when this is happening. Engine running, car in park. Opening the moonroof makes it go away.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:29 AM

I have the same issue with my 13 sport accord. It happens when I activate the rear defroster and also during random times. Very annoying! If anyone has a fix please post!

Old 12-09-2012, 08:42 PM

What is the honda dealer saying about this issue???

I wouldn't put up with it for a single day on a brand new car.

Old 12-10-2012, 01:10 AM

Wow, the 13' accord must have a really tight cabin envelop. I don't see that as a bad thing. In fact I have double sealed my doors on my 6th gen (to reduce road noise) and noticed a marked increase in cabin pressure (as you have described).

The cabin air flow fan is not designed to keep pressure in so you dont have to be concerned that your car is "pressurized" as you are driving. If it seriously bothers you then take it in, other wise I wouldn't worry about it. IMO it is a display of excellent workmanship.

This is basic fluid dynamics and happens when you have high pressure air moving around a low pressure cabin (freeway driving windows up). When I crack my sunroof I also notice the pressure change as I am allowing air in and out (high pressure system forces air in -the intake is below the windscreen where there is positive pressure- and sucks more air - out sunroof). This is normal, I guarantee that you are not experiencing anything over 1 psi change in cabin pressure. If you are entering the free way and select the recirculate button on your HVAC control then you would not experience this phenomenon as quickly or as severely.

Last edited by Silver6gen; 12-10-2012 at 01:17 AM.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I brought the car in on Saturday for multiple issues, and the tech immediately recognized the fluttering pressure, and agreed it was a problem that needed to get fixed. When the car is in motion, everything is fine. When I stop at a stop sign, or am sitting in park with the engine running, then it flutters. I could care less if it were high pressure/low pressure. The problem is that it randomly flutters continuously. There has to be a malfunctioning flap or something in the way of the air outlet. I assure you, something is quite wrong. This has been a hilarious problem actually, trying to explain it to people. My wife doesn't notice the problem. The cabin is tight, when you close the last window all the way, you can actually hear the fan working harder to push the fresh air in. I'm trying to figure out a way of visualizing this for all the people I've tried to explain it to.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Not sure if anyone is still following, but the head tech is intrigued by the problem. He tried recording the sound, it didn't work. They think it's related to the noise cancelling system, and I guess that is possible. When I turn on recirculating, the sound stops. Possibly the air is passing by the microphone when everything is sealed up and fresh air is on. When you recirculate, the air doesn't get forced by the microphone. Or if you crack a window, the air doesn't get forced by the microphone...

Old 04-10-2013, 06:37 AM
Super Moderator

Can you cover up the microphone with something? Duct tape a rag over it? (not a SOLUTION but a diagnostic test)

Maybe the tech can use his HDS scanner to "turn off" the noise-cancelling system?

Old 04-13-2013, 11:34 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Anybody know where the microphones are located?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 Accord has cabin pressure fluttering?