General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Accord Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:10 PM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by FCB
Wyn, any status update on these issues?

Just purchased the accord sport 5 days ago and noticed the jerking/pulling just yesterday as well. Also, some rattling sound coming from dashboard, honestly very disappointed with Honda
Hi to all,
You guys are very informative and supportive.
So far, the Honda Accord LX 4 cylinder CVT has been no fun to drive; actually it has been a pain.
The CVT jerk below 20 mph was present, but very mild. In the meanwhile it has gotten worse and very noticeable, so that driving in traffic is a real pain.
In addition, another jerking has started just couple of weeks ago whenever the speed crosses 40 mph; just like if the car would shift (but of course it is not).
The torque has decreased, so the rubber band feeling has become very disgusting.
On low speeds, the car is just instable. It pulls side to side while slowing down or accelerate, in idle, the car is permanently shaking like the engine is struggling to stay alive (bothe with ECO on and off).
In addition, the breaks have started to squeeze and crackle, specially the right left one when backing up and go forward. The breaks sound like already used (I have been driving the car since November 2012, have around 2.500 miles on it, am in general a very calm driver with no unnecessary acceleration and deceleration action).
The mpg has never been as stayed: my best has been 31 miles/gallon once, other than that I achieve around 23-25 mpg combined highway and street. Again, I am not a race driver and very concerned about gas economy.
In addition, the stirring wheel had a "rrrrrrrrrr" sound to it which has become more prominent when turning the wheel.
In addition, the wheel has never been in center position and the alignment has always been off. I tried adjusting tire pressure multiple time, never worked.

So all in all, it has been a great disappointment so far. Taking the car in coming week and I wont take it off the dealer until issues have been fixed.

I sold my civic and was going to by a Toyota Camry. For some stupid reason I decided to trust Honda one more time (the civic bought in 2008 had multiple issues they were never able to fix, so I got tired and got rid of it).

In sum, for a three months brand new car with moderate mileage on it and very carfeul driving with extra care, the car feels like 3+ years old.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. Honda Accord 2013
The mpg has never been as stayed: my best has been 31 miles/gallon once, other than that I achieve around 23-25 mpg combined highway and street. Again, I am not a race driver and very concerned about gas economy....

...So all in all, it has been a great disappointment so far. Taking the car in coming week and I wont take it off the dealer until issues have been fixed.

I sold my civic and was going to by a Toyota Camry. For some stupid reason I decided to trust Honda one more time (the civic bought in 2008 had multiple issues they were never able to fix, so I got tired and got rid of it).

In sum, for a three months brand new car with moderate mileage on it and very carfeul driving with extra care, the car feels like 3+ years old.
I second the mileage per gallon. Months ago I was ready to make a video of the miles per hour omade by my 2013 Accord in the city because barely is reaching 16 miles per gallon. But traveling later from Maryland to Pennsylvania both ways the car made 34 miles per gallon and I changed my mind.

But, comparing the 2010 Honda Accord which -also belongs to my family- with the 2013 in what it corresponds to miles per gallon, the 2010 is more economic, it runs more miles per gallon.

To make the situation worst, the 2010 has 28,000 miles and the oil change has been performed 4 times, while the 2013 has 5,000 miles now and showed three days ago a 15% oil data and I has been driving 70 miles per day and very soon will come the red 5%.

Both cars run a very similar route, almost same streets and traffic, so I think that the reason for this negative results from the 2013 Accord is that we have been using the ECON system.

I think this is the problem with my Accord because it gave me a closed mileage per gallon to what is expected only when the ECON system was off while driving long distances.

So, I have decided to run my Accord without the use of the ECON and see what happens after the changing of oil and filter. I have ready the Honda filter and Mobil oil 0-20.

In the following months I will check both issues, the oil data and the mileage per gallon.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by darkseat
I second the mileage per gallon. Months ago I was ready to make a video of the miles per hour omade by my 2013 Accord in the city because barely is reaching 16 miles per gallon. But traveling later from Maryland to Pennsylvania both ways the car made 34 miles per gallon and I changed my mind.

But, comparing the 2010 Honda Accord which -also belongs to my family- with the 2013 in what it corresponds to miles per gallon, the 2010 is more economic, it runs more miles per gallon.

To make the situation worst, the 2010 has 28,000 miles and the oil change has been performed 4 times, while the 2013 has 5,000 miles now and showed three days ago a 15% oil data and I has been driving 70 miles per day and very soon will come the red 5%.

Both cars run a very similar route, almost same streets and traffic, so I think that the reason for this negative results from the 2013 Accord is that we have been using the ECON system.

I think this is the problem with my Accord because it gave me a closed mileage per gallon to what is expected only when the ECON system was off while driving long distances.

So, I have decided to run my Accord without the use of the ECON and see what happens after the changing of oil and filter. I have ready the Honda filter and Mobil oil 0-20.

In the following months I will check both issues, the oil data and the mileage per gallon.
That is a very interesting finding, and I almost thought the ECON is supposed to save us gas; stupid me.
I will try the same after my current tank is empty (BTW, I reach 380 miles per tank for ~16 gallons which is barely 24 mpg).
New finding I forgot to include, just recently the engine?! has started to make a funny sound when slowing down, just like an airplane engine when "whistling" while running. Anybody else noticed that?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:07 AM

That is a very interesting finding, and I almost thought the ECON is supposed to save us gas; stupid me.
I will try the same after my current tank is empty (BTW, I reach 380 miles per tank for ~16 gallons which is barely 24 mpg).
New finding I forgot to include, just recently the engine?! has started to make a funny sound when slowing down, just like an airplane engine when "whistling" while running. Anybody else noticed that?
Sarcasm won't make my car to run more miles per gallon, perhaps the econ system works for the other millions of vehicles made by Honda, but apparently mine is the exception.

While the econ system is supposed to make adjustments to other features that increase gas consumption like the AC, in my car the only thing I noticed is that makes the car driving like on "hold", like acting slower to accelerate or hard to do it. By the way, I made a typo in my former message, the mileage of the 2013 Honda Accord LX using the econ system is barely 19 miles per gallon. The 2010 Honda Accord LX-P we own makes 20 miles per gallon almost the same route.

Luckily no funny extra sounds are heard from the engine compartment in my new Accord, and my only two concerns is the fast drop of oil percent having to replace the oil at 5,000 miles when is using synthetic oil, and a very low mileage per gallon using the econ system.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:37 PM

I am shocked by all the issues some of you are having. I have 5200 miles on my 2013 and I am still at 50% oil life. I am also getting approximately 32 mpg mix of mostly around town with some highway. I have not done any straight highway to check that. I am just happy so far I have not had of the problems noted here (other than the buzzing noise I originally posted about).

Old 02-26-2013, 07:15 AM

I have to reply to this gas mileage thread, as I have gotten gas mileage as advertised by Honda. Having the ECON switch on or off does not guarantee good gas mileage. The pressure of your foot on the gas petal will have the greater effect on mileage. With the ECON switch on, watch the green curves that surround the speedometer as you accelerate. Note that the curves will change from dark green, to light green, to white as you accelerate. Keeping the curves as dark a green as possible equals good gas mileage. Also, pressing the display change button on the left side of the steering wheel (above the small iPod-like select wheel) changes the car's display to two gas pump icons, which provide gas mileage info (read the manual for details). I've had my 2013 Accord for 4 months, getting 26-27 mpg in mixed city/highway and 36-37 mpg on highway trips (using cruise control at 70 mph). I have the 4 cylinder engine with the CVT (transmission). I don't believe the ECON system changes the engine performance (read the manual).

Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by darkseat
Sarcasm won't make my car to run more miles per gallon, perhaps the econ system works for the other millions of vehicles made by Honda, but apparently mine is the exception.

While the econ system is supposed to make adjustments to other features that increase gas consumption like the AC, in my car the only thing I noticed is that makes the car driving like on "hold", like acting slower to accelerate or hard to do it. By the way, I made a typo in my former message, the mileage of the 2013 Honda Accord LX using the econ system is barely 19 miles per gallon. The 2010 Honda Accord LX-P we own makes 20 miles per gallon almost the same route.

Luckily no funny extra sounds are heard from the engine compartment in my new Accord, and my only two concerns is the fast drop of oil percent having to replace the oil at 5,000 miles when is using synthetic oil, and a very low mileage per gallon using the econ system.
That's right; it really doesn't.
I tried the ECON off for the whole day. I noticed that the "on hold" feeling has decreased, also the shaking while in idle is almost gone. The jerking at low RPM (acc. or decc.) is the same. The car seems more "ready to go" but the transmission sometimes acts like automatic rather than CVT. The breaks cracking still.
One question:
Do we have to accept the CVT jerking? Or is this an issue we should have them fixed (if they can of course)? Driving in the traffic with the constant jerking is a real pain. I noticed some back and neck issues already; maybe just because of the tension I constantly am under awaiting for the jerking to come...Over all, not a smooth ride..a brand new car should not be something you think about constantly, but just drive....

PS: have not noticed and changes in mpg with ECON off SO FAR! oil indicator is at 50% with almost 2700 miles which I think is OK (my civic, automatic was the same).

Old 02-28-2013, 09:23 AM

That's right; it really doesn't.
I tried the ECON off for the whole day. I noticed that the "on hold" feeling has decreased, also the shaking while in idle is almost gone. The jerking at low RPM (acc. or decc.) is the same. The car seems more "ready to go" but the transmission sometimes acts like automatic rather than CVT. The breaks cracking still.
One question:
Do we have to accept the CVT jerking? Or is this an issue we should have them fixed (if they can of course)? Driving in the traffic with the constant jerking is a real pain. I noticed some back and neck issues already; maybe just because of the tension I constantly am under awaiting for the jerking to come...Over all, not a smooth ride..a brand new car should not be something you think about constantly, but just drive....

PS: have not noticed and changes in mpg with ECON off SO FAR! oil indicator is at 50% with almost 2700 miles which I think is OK (my civic, automatic was the same).
After passing 5,000 miles driving the Accord I decided to stop using the ECON system.

and amazingly a "miracle" happened... the vehicle feels free to be driven and the mileage per gallon has increased to what the 2013 Honda Accord advertisement states, my car now runs 23-25 miles per gallon!

I'm happy now, one of the concerns I had before about this Honda Accord has been solved satisfactorily. Here is the oil data at this time

so I will wait until it gives me the 5% oil replacement warning in order to change the oil. After that, I will compare this oil mileage data with the next oil change driving the car without the ECON system.

About the ECON system, I was told here in my house not to take the car to the dealer for inspection and or repair, because the car is doing better without it and touching the car for this issue will probably mess up my vehicle.

On the other hand, I will look for a similar ECON round button with a pirate skull in it to replace the existing one, so anyone who drives this car might not try to use it

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Accord Problems-file0009-1_zpsa323cc05.jpg   2013 Accord Problems-file0010-1_zps3515b736.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 11:09 PM

Well, it appears Honda came thru with a software fix for my wife's V6 issues with the radio/backup camera Four days later all is well

Old 03-21-2013, 09:02 PM

google CVT reliability or similar-took me to a site where they provided complete advantages/disadvantages of the CVT transmissions as opposed to the familiar 6 speed-auto trans. They described the loud buzzing/vibration when accelerating from a stop and slowing down-sounds as though a clutch is slipping very annoying but normal-advised to take a long test drive in the new accord and altimas because of many complaints which lowers the refinement standards in the new accords. Strange that you have to pay thousands more for an automatic 6 speed!

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Problems