General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by HondaMan2013
I had my 2013 Accord (purchased from Crown Honda, Durham, NC) for 3 days when I noticed a whining noise coming from my 4 cylinder engine after parking the car in my garage. Took it to the dealer 3 times and it would not make the noise while parked at their place. Finally shot a video of the noise, which appeared to come from the area near the alternator, and took the video to the dealer for a tech to watch. The dealer tech had not seen this problem and called Honda Tech Line for help. The Tech Line told the dealer tech to install new computer software to disable a timed solenoid run cycle which periodically cycles for many minutes after the engine is shut off for about 10 minutes. The dealer tech told me that the solenoid is part of the variable valve timing (VVT) and that the solenoid was occasionally cycled to quote, clean it. I asked what happens to the solenoid if it is no longer "cleaned", and went to the Serv. Mgr. for an answer. His reply, not to worry, you have a 3 year warranty and if Honda instructs the dealer to make the software change, it must be ok. Bottom line, the car no longer whines after the engine is shut off, but I'm not happy with the solution.
The dealer just called back and told me basically the same thing. And that there is a software update that will remedy the buzzing sound after the car is turned off. Have scheduled an appointment to install the update and will update after complete and tested. No other issues, although I don't drive the car.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:33 PM

Honda - EX L, 4 cyl. (no NAV)

Hi, I live in Canada and got my car around 3 weeks ago.....happy BUT some issues!

** I have had the stereo "screeching" problem 3 times, once it didn't go away after the 1st re-start. - weird problem. Basically the stereo emits high pitched sound, like inference that doesn't go way until re-start.

**Squeak under front drivers side wheel..

** Bump where one of the leather sections joins on the steering wheel....really annoying - Honda are replacing the whole steering wheel.

** The lane change camera didn't work once - corrected when re-started.

** The display screen (top one) auto dimms sometimes....went really dark....don't know if this is normal, corrected itself when I fiddled with it.

** Some "dirt" "bump" under the paint on the rear passenger side window, small but noticeable.....Honda said they would have to re-paint the whole back half of the car to fix it....they are willing to do this under warranty but would need the car for 3 days and would not provide a rental. They also talked me out of doing it as "factory paint" is better??? There is another small bump just above the same window...small but ......................... <---Anyone have an opinion on this? Not sure what to do about the paint.

The other problem I will address with Honda when I change the steering wheel. I still like the car...but expected a little higher QC checks, especially considering the Japanese as so quality minded.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 AM

I've had my 2013 Accord for about 2.5 months. I also occasionally have audio distortion or "screeching" and yes, the distortion only went away after the car was re-started. And I've had the lane change camera not work one time. For the drivers side wheel squeak; does the noise occur when you are turning? I had a passenger side wheel squeal that resulted in three suspension parts being replaced, but the noise has returned and I've just sent a letter to American Honda in Torrence, CA, asking for their input on this problem. I suggest returning to the dealership and listing all of the problems you have listed here, so that Honda logs them in. It looks like there is a trend developing. Good Luck!

Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM
Default Re Honda

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, the squeak happens when turning left (not right), it is however intermittent it normally happens when starting from a cold start. Although at other times as well. I will make my Honda aware of these problems.

Tell me a little more about your wheel squeak...

I hope I don't have to go through major repairs.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Default Squeal noise when turning

My Accord makes a squeal noise at the passenger front wheel area when moving about 20 mph or faster and turning to the left. The dealership also heard the sound and as directed by the Honda Tech Line, installed vibration sensors on the right front suspension parts, hooked up a data logger, and then drove the car. They then reported the vibration data to Honda Tech Line. Honda had them replace 3 components (strut, lower arm, and another part). I asked if that was correct since there was no squeal in the suspension when the car was bounced up/down. I asked about the possibility of a bad wheel bearing or if the brake caliper could be dragging. They told me they were following the Honda Tech Line directive. So, they replaced the 3 suspension parts and after about a week, I once again hear the squeal when turning left (it never makes the noise when turning right). But, now I also hear a new clunk noise from the right front suspension when driving over small dips or low spots in the roadway. So, I'm not going back to the dealership I purchased the car from for service and I sent a registered letter to Honda in Torrance, CA. about a week ago, asking for help with the squeal problem and other issues with the audio system. At this point, we'll see how Honda supports me and I'll report the results in this forum.

Dec. 20th: American Honda called me in response to my letter. The rep. worked with me to have my Accord serviced at Autopark Honda in Cary, NC. Autopark Honda found that one of three studs which secures the strut to the car was broken and that the defective mounting of the strut was related to the clunk noise. So, Autopark Honda replaced the same strut that Crown Honda replaced in Nov. And the question remains; how did one of the studs become broken? Since the clunk noise occurred after the strut was replaced by Crown Honda, you be judge about how the stud became broken. Autopark Honda also told me the squeal noise when turning was related to the strut problem. So, I'll need to drive the car for some time to see if the squeal noise is resolved. However, the new strut has resolved the clunk noise.

Well it's almost March 2013, and the suspension repair done by Autopark Honda is a success. I've been driving the car for months and it's been great. I'm still having occational audio/hands free link issues, but the woman at American Honda had told me a software update was in the works, so I'll sit tight until she calls me.

Last edited by HondaMan2013; 02-26-2013 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Update 2_26_2013
Old 12-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 2013 Accord Audio Problems

I purchased a 2013 Accord EX-L 2 weeks ago. A couple of days ago I started experiencing the schreehing noise coming from the speakers, especially on higher music notes. Also, I have problems with HFL. Sometimes a call is great! I can hear everything clearly. Then the very next call will be garbled and broken up. I also cannot get the entire contact list downloaded. They persons name and number will show up on the Call History. However, the name will not show when I receive a call, only the number. Then there is the LAG when you work through the menus. Sometimes it seems the whole system is locked up.

I called the salesman today. He checked with Service and they have not heard anything about updates to the system. Of course, they invite me to drop the car off so it can be checked out. They say they will be glad to give a me ride to where ever I need to go. I don't think they want to drive me the 55 miles I drive each way to work while they play with the car.

If anyone has information concerning when a fix will be out for the car I would appreciate the info. Then I call the dealer and get the car fixed.

Old 12-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I purchased a 2013 Accord EX-L 2 weeks ago. A couple of days ago I started experiencing the schreehing noise coming from the speakers, especially on higher music notes. Also, I have problems with HFL. Sometimes a call is great! I can hear everything clearly. Then the very next call will be garbled and broken up. I also cannot get the entire contact list downloaded. They persons name and number will show up on the Call History. However, the name will not show when I receive a call, only the number. Then there is the LAG when you work through the menus. Sometimes it seems the whole system is locked up.

I called the salesman today. He checked with Service and they have not heard anything about updates to the system. Of course, they invite me to drop the car off so it can be checked out. They say they will be glad to give a me ride to where ever I need to go. I don't think they want to drive me the 55 miles I drive each way to work while they play with the car.

If anyone has information concerning when a fix will be out for the car I would appreciate the info.

Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 AM

I have been speaking to American Honda regarding a number of problems with my 2013 Accord. One of the problems is audio distortion with the cell phone Hands Free Link or Bluetooth connection. The Amer. Honda representative told me that they are aware of problems with the HFL and other audio system problems and that a software upgrade is going to be available sometime in Jan. 2013. Talk to the dealership so that they can contact you when the Audio/Hand Free Link software update is available. Good Luck!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:04 AM

Besides of the radio, my new Honda Accord is not showing the problems you have mentioned. Still, as a car owner of this model and year, I thank you for your postings, your information is very valuable in case something similar comes out with my vehicle.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SusanLE1961
I also have a 2013 Honda Accord EX that has a high pitched electronic noise that occurs after the car is shut off as well. It is deifnitely not a fan. I brought my car in and the tech hooked the car up to their laptop and had the fan turn on so I could lhear that noise - it was not. This is an electronic buzzing noise. It has occurred on my car multiple times but the only time I notice it is when I am home and the car is in the garage (it's quiet enough to hear). One time when I noticed it was did not appear it would shut off so we restarted the car and it shut if off again and the noise stopped. This past Friday I heard it when I went back out to the garage after coming home and we tried to pinpoint the area and it shut off on it's own. I am in contact with the dealership to try and determine if it a normal part of the diagnostics of the car or an issue.
Originally Posted by LJGibbs
The dealer just called back and told me basically the same thing. And that there is a software update that will remedy the buzzing sound after the car is turned off. Have scheduled an appointment to install the update and will update after complete and tested. No other issues, although I don't drive the car.
Honda has a technical service bulletin regarding this for the Accords with the L4 engines.

Honda TSB 12-085
Buzz Coming From the Engine Compartment After the Engine Is Turned Off

Applies To: 2013 Accord 2-Door – From 1HGCT1...DA000001 thru 1HGCT1...DA000123
2013 Accord 4-Door – From 1HGCR2...DA000001 thru 1HGCR2...DA021824
2013 Accord 4-Door – VIN begins with JHM

SYMPTOM
Buzzing is heard coming from the engine compartment after the engine is turned off.

PROBABLE CAUSE
The PCM operates the VTC solenoid with the ignition key turned to the OFF position.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI software in the PCM.

Last edited by redbull-1; 12-22-2012 at 10:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Problems