General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord Remote Starter

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 06:48 PM

Got the remote start as well, very disappointing that you have to carry 2 fobs. They are way too bulky. I love the car but this is very frustrating. Like some others have stated, I wish I had known that in advance of purchase. I would totally have had it done after market and just have one fob.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:04 PM

Proctor Honda gave me full refund for installing and uninstalling that useless remote start system. I wish I would have known that when you open the door the engine shuts off. Now I am waiting for some after market solution.

Old 03-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I'm looking at Automate AM9 remote start w alarm not sure how big the remote is but I think it's worth a look here in NY $275.00 installed

AUTOMATE AM9
Security with Remote Start

2-Way is the hottest technology in vehicle security and remote start, and the newly redesigned AM9 is a state-of-the-art 2-Way system. It confirms all commands on its LCD screen (including remote start), and will beep or vibrate when the security system is triggered.

Features
  • Virtual Tach
  • D2D and ESP2 programming port
  • Remote Engine Starting
  • Parking Light Flash Confirmation
  • Flashing LED Status Indicator
  • FailsafeŽ Starter Kill
  • Remote Door Lock / Unlock**
  • $2500 Product Performance Guarantee
  • Two OE Style 4 button Remotes
  • Dual Stage Shock Sensor
  • Remote Panic

Owner's Manual
Owner's Guide
AM9
(11/14/2003)

AM9
(7/22/2004)

AM9 (French)
(8/05/2004)

AM9
(7/31/2010)

Right click and select "Save Target As" to save the Owners Guide to your computer.

Attached Thumbnails 2013 Accord Remote Starter-am9_sm.jpg   2013 Accord Remote Starter-btnlrgrimg_small.png  
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Default Viper System

I went to a Viper dealer and reviewed their offerings. The one thing that I learned that I didn't know before is you have to give them one of the Honda FOB's to use with the transponder. That FOB then is no longer a useful device. So I would be down to one Honda FOB. You will then need the Viper FOB to remote start, etc and the Honda FOB to operate the vehicle. I understand why for a security reason, but again as posted two FOB's is still the only option, Honda or any other product. Does anyone have any additional details that may help? Thanks!

Last edited by marathon220; 03-07-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I am going to call and ask about that with the AM9 alarm above and ask about having a fob in the car.
I wanted the dealer to install this alarm but my sales man said the don't have that model and get it outside. I then ask about a problem with them in service about warranty problems and he said he doesn't think its going to be a problem.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:45 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok so now I have most of the information correct and not half the story. As I said earlier I price the AM9 alarm installed at 275 I was wrong, that was for a base model alarm. Marathon220 is correct about having one of the fob inside the car for the remote start and you also loose the feature of the car unlocking by just touching the door handle. Now the car fob will only be good for starting car normally. To unlock and lock your car you will have to use the alarm fob and also to remote start your car. The price of these alarms are not cheap I am now looking at the Viper 5904 with color OLED fob its around $750 installed, but with this alarm and remote start you will be able to start your car up to 1 mile away, close your windows, sunroof and know the temp inside your car, you can also use your cell phone so you might not need to carry the alarm fob with you. I will not know all the infor on that until I go to place and talk more with him can only get so much over the phone.

Old 03-09-2013, 10:31 AM

I did learn something new that may help. I went by my local Honda dealer and spoke with their parts department. First, they agree the Honda remote start is inferior than the aftermarket, such as Viper. Honda's has "about" a 200' range and that is without interference. The point on giving up one of the Fobs was a big help. I can get a valet key from the Honda parts department made to give to the Viper installer. That way I do not have give up a FOB to allow the installation. The installer will install it up in the dash out of site. The cost to key and program the valet key is $50, which is a lot better than giving up a FOB and the cost of it. Hope this helps!

Old 03-10-2013, 07:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Marathon220 you have a push to start (touring model) and they can make a key for that model?

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM

I have a push to start, sedan. I would imagine it would be the same concept as the touring model. I am looking at the Viper, either the 4203 or the VSS5000.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:17 PM

I agree, a bad, bad design.
I have a '13 EX-L w nav V6 coupe. I wanted to get an aftermarket alarm/shock sensor/remote start. Seems the Viper system needs another module installed with an additional key in it (that from the dealer, 200 bucks) to enable a remote start option on the alarm.. that on top of the 500 for the alarm, installed. Sheesh.
I am told a module that can itself be programmed to the key code may be somewhere down the road. I sure hope so. This wasn't very well thought out, way I see it.
And paying 700 + to the dealer for a remote start alone is, I'm sorry, ridiculous. What did I buy, a Tesla?
I had a 2008 Accord EX-L V6 W/Nav coupe prior to this one, same car. Hey Honda..it wasn't broken!
Smart key indeed.

Quick Reply: 2013 Accord Remote Starter