General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

2013 Accord whistle/whine at decel

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:58 PM
Default 2013 Accord whistle/whine at decel

Hi everyone, sorry for this first time long post but I got a concern and wanting to see if anyone else here is seeing similar incident. (No name of personnel are giving at the moment)

Car: 2013 Honda Accord Sport I-4, CVT transmission

History: Brought this car for my wife about 3 months ago. Currently the car have 7,8xx miles with the original oil at 40% (probably due to lots of hwy driving).

Concern: Well, last week I finally drove her car to the store to pick up some stuff. On the way out of the neighborhood, I noticed a whistle/whine noise when the car is decelerating. This got me worried and I did some more driving around trying to diagnosis this sound and hope to pin point the cause. But this is all I was able to established:
1. Sound only occurred when decelerating
2. Noticed at ~20mph and while decelerating to a stop
3. Sound exist with me dragging the brake (not brake problem)
4. Sound exist with different road condition; car is heading straight o with steering input in a turn.
5. Sound exist when gear is placed in neutral car is rolling
6. Sound exist with accessories in car in on or off position

Dealer visit: Well I took the car to the dealership on 8/17 to have it checked out but they were too busy that day and we could not leave the car there because my wife need her car to commute back and forth to work. Scheduled with person A to bring the car back on 8/21; I took off work early and drove the car to the dealership only to find out that they never put me on their schedule. The maintenance advisor, person B, were confused with my car concern and asked a technician, person C, to come look/test drive my car for this noise concern. Person C came back and stated that he noticed the sound too and that it might be the new CVT transmission. He then asked his manager or whomever is behind some office door to test drive a loaner car they have. Person C came back and stated the sound exist in this other car as well and ask me to ride along to see if this is the same sound that I was referring to. We came to conclusion that it is the same sound but the sound in the loaner car was much quieter compared to our. Person B and C then told me that is is normal operation just by comparing it to another car that person C drove.

I asked them to pull up the service bulletin to see if there is any transmission /engine related issue/concern is there. They didn't not find anything and keep telling me that it is normal operating condition. I asked them if they have a field engineer that often visit this particular dealership, and person B got all confused and stating that she does not know how to get in touch with the field engineer.

My problem:
1. They stated that is is normal operating condition by comparing this to one of their other car. I am not satisfy with their answer unless it is Honda manufacturing/engineering themselves come out saying that it is normal with answer that explain the mechanic of the engine/trans which generate this sound.
2. This 2013 Accord have a completely new engine design w/ DI and CVT transmission. I'm leaning toward CVT transmission too but I have drove a bunch of Altima, Sentra, and a few Maxima without this sound. The technician, person C, also stated that their other Honda model w/ CVT does not have this sound.
3. I asked for a documentation of my concern and report date along with vehicle's mileage but she could not give me one.
4. My problem is that if there is no direct answer to this noise, and if it is not reported (quantity of incident help escalate this concern), how does Honda engineering know to look into this concern.

Thank you for everyone who have gone through my lengthy post.

Old 09-03-2015, 03:36 PM
Default 2014 Honda Accord Sport

Hi
I have 2014 Honda Accord Sport and it whisles at 20-30km/h not only at decel but at accel as well but you have to accel very gently. The noise is quite loude and it drives me nuts! I took my car to dealer it has 34000 and they say it is normal and we took another one for a ride and it is quiet. Hope honda engineers will do something as mechanics calling them! I guess there is a problem with transmission!

Old 09-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Super Moderator

Does it have the CVT?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM

Yes, It is CVT!

Old 09-04-2015, 12:15 PM

Honda engineers said that this noise is fine with this type of vehicle - what is BS...they just don't want to do anything!

Old 12-08-2015, 05:21 PM

ANY FURTHER INFORMATION FROM Honda ON THIS ISSUE YET FROM ANYONE?

Old 12-12-2015, 01:35 PM

Hi, I have a 2013 EX-L with CVT, it has the same noise on deceleration. Have not heard on acceleration will check. I hear the noise only when the radio is off, and it is quiet inside the car with windows down.

Old 12-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Hey guys, is this the noise you guys talking about? This video was taken from my 2016 Civic 1.5T CVT.