General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Air Conditioning Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Right, will do. I've been considering bringing it in to one of the Honda dealers in Baton Rouge, and that isn't going to happen with all that is going on there. It has been working perfectly since the weather has cooled off several degrees with all this rain. I haven't checked the cabin filter yet. We're finally drying out here in Southwest Louisiana, so I could do that. We really lucked out on this one; we're the non-flooding spot between the floods to the East and to the West. What a mess!! Thanks, and I will let you all know what the outcome is when I finally get one.

Old 08-15-2016, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator

Given your continued description of the issue, or non-issue as the case may be, it sounds more and more like an iced up evaporator. I had that on a 2009 Mazda; it was pretty much a known issue and there was nothing Mazda could do about it. Hopefully Honda will be more responsive.

Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Shipo, the longer I live with this, and the more I think about it, I have to agree that that is the first line of approach I'm planning to take when I take it in. I'm waiting for the weather to turn super hot again so they can actually experience the problem. I really hope this isn't something that is an ongoing unsolvable problem with the Accord. I really hate this sort of intermittent problem. Thanks for the response.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It finally stopped raining when I had time to take the cabin air filter out. That all looks fine; it looks brand new like it should. There was not much change in air flow from the vents when the filter went back in and the cabinet was shut. I like the simplicity of the design of all that. Cabin air filter changes require no tools. I thought I'd be able to see the coil when the filter was out; wrong again! Now I just have to wait for more dryish summer weather. The rain is supposed to stop in a few days.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Iced evap is a symptom of non-cycling compressor. Fault can be thermostat sensor, wiring, or thermostat. Compressor should cycle off when evap temp reaches about 30F.

Therre is a way to access AC system codes, perhaps one of other mods can post. I'm on road w/ no manuals.

good luck

Old 08-17-2016, 09:44 AM
Newest Of Newbies

A/C codes. Wow! What a thought. It never dawned on me that the A/C would throw error codes. Now I'm tempted to take it in even though it isn't that hot outside and it isn't acting up. Thanks for the info.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Eighty four degrees here today, with high humidity. Was out running errands, and it stopped working. I pulled over and the compressor wasn't running. Compressor came back on after a bit and the cooling started again. This time it really seemed like the coil under the dash was frozen. The more I drove the worse it got. It seemed like the air flow was more restricted. I called the Honda shop and they said that I'm looking at a week wait since there are all the recalls. My parents had an Accord years ago, and this shop didn't inspire my confidence back then. We'll see. I'm ready to make the appointment as I've gathered information and it seems to be getting worse. It would be better if it would just conk out all together, but this is almost as good. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know the outcome.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:20 PM

I'm not sure if this is similar on the newer models.
My 2006 suffered similarly for a while, even pegged the temp gauge on hot days in traffic.
Our problem turned out to be burnt fuses for the radiator fan system.
The AC worked, but without the rad fans, the system couldn't cool the AC and the Coolant systems unless the vehicle was at speed.

Old 08-29-2016, 10:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My car's symptoms sound a bit different from the 2006 you are posting about. This happens at highway speeds as well as in town.

Dropped it off at the local Honda dealership this PM for a 7:00AM appointment tomorrow with the mechanics. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they will actually figure out that A)something is wrong with the car and B) they know how to fix it. I will let the forum know the results. It seems to be getting worse. Thanks for all the input!

Old 09-02-2016, 07:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

So, here is the result from the long awaited A/C appointment. They kept the car from essentially Tuesday to Friday, and several people drove it and it never acted up on any of them. That part of this just blows my mind. If my wife or I drive it in really hot weather, which we had this week, it acts up at least once a trip around town (She gave up on the A/C at one point and rolled down the windows). Anyhow, they did get some error codes saying that the coil under the dash was freezing up, and they were apparently really trying to check it out. I mentioned the air gap, not really knowing what it was, and they checked it; it was up to specs. The Service Manager ended up getting involved as the Service Writer was brand new to this shop. The SM ended up telling his technician to take out the freon, and weigh it. It was shy from factory specs and so they put that up to specs, and put in a fluorescent dye that will tell them if I have a leak. He did say it wasn't that far off, but who knows what being low might do. The Manager and the Writer were both very pleasant and we all agreed that these intermittent problems are hard to find. It operated completely normally after I got it from the shop today, and I made a point of running some errands as it was in the low 90's, prime "A/C takes a powder" territory. They told me to try it like this, and if it still acts up bring it back and they'd try again. They were apologetic that it took so long and were really grateful that I stayed patient. I was grateful that they didn't just blow me off and say, "It's fine; nothing wrong" and not do anything to even attempt to fix it. They were apparently slammed with the recalls and the holiday weekend coming up. So, I'm in a "Wait and See what Happens" mode. Lucky for me and them I still have my old Ford truck that I love. I can't park it in an average space (actually anything less than a football field), and it sucks up gas like there is no tomorrow, but I still love it so I drove that while the parkable much more efficient Honda was in the shop. All in all a better outcome than I initially expected. Thanks to everyone for the input on this. I'll let you know as it unfolds. I suspect it has a slow refrigerant leak, but it could have just been a factory boo-boo that only showed up when it got really, really hot, or it might be something else altogether. I'm expecting to find out one way or the other.

Quick Reply: 2016 Air Conditioning Question