General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

5w20 and Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 06:08 PM
Default RE: 5w20 and Oil change

ORIGINAL: poff1986

ill just say if you drive it like an old granny 5k is definatly fine, 5k would classify as just about any driving other than racing and beatin on your car. id go 5k and save yourself a couple of bucks, Also with your oil changes you should replace the crush washer every time, that way you dont strip out your oil pan drain plug. hell just goin 5k an oil change you could buy a honda filter for about 6-8 bucks and a crush washer for about 50 cents.
Should I just go 3K just to be on the safe side and to keep the performance level excellent?
What is a crush washer?
Where can I get a Honda filter? At a dealership?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:25 PM

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

5k is really fine for oil change intervals. My 2000 LX Owner's Manual recommends oil changes every 7500 miles, but I am a little too nervous to wait that long. I use Valvoline Syn Blend Maxlife10W30 (I live in Mississippi where it rarely ever gets cold and is between 90 & 100 about 8 months out ofa year).
I use Purolator filters. I have heard bad things about Fram.
Don't forget about the crush washer on the drain plug ($0.50 at the dealerships in my town). If you don't replace it, the car will leak from the drain plug.
I change my oil every 5k or 4 months, whichever comes first.
Synthetic is junk according to my friend who has 30 years of experience in the car business. Stick to basics.

Castrol GTX is what he recommends.

5K or 4 months? What if you drive 10K in 3 months?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Old 05-16-2008, 06:42 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

Synthetic is junk according to my friend who has 30 years of experience in the car business. Stick to basics.

Well your friend is not the brightest crayon in the box....by far. If he has 30 years in car buisness and claims Synthetic is junk, I would NEVER let him touch my car or even remotely accept his advice.

There is no way synthetic is junk. If so, why would Nascar, drag racing, and monster truck racing all use synthetic motor oil? Because they are driving hard, and need an oil that wont break down under high heat or wear away their $50k motors or so.

Royal Purple is the best synthetic. But any other oil that is fully synthetic and a common brand will do just fine for normal driving. Synthetic lasts longer, and reduces friction inside your engine. Less friction = less wear, longer life for the oil itself,and better gas mileage and hp.

As for "5K or 4 months? What if you drive 10K in 3 months?" It means 5k or 4 months. Whichever comes first.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 PM

I have always changed the oil every 3500 to 4000 maximum.

I do dis-agree with the granny-driving being a longer term on an oil change...Because Granny always drives slow, never gets on the highway, and only drives short trip intervals; she will put less than 6000 or 7000 miles on her car annually. This is a severedriving condition andsheneeds to have the oil changed in her car at least every 6 months (regardless of the low mileage accumulated on the oil). The reason is because that oil never reaches operating temperature. There is a certain amount of moisture that accumulates in the oil during the internal combustion process and that moisture will not evaporate off if the oil never gets hot. This moisture causes the oil to coagulate (spelling?). That makes sludge.

You can get the filters from a Honda dealer....One secret, if you can find them on the internet, Nippon is one of the OEM for that Honda Filter. At our shop we use a 14mm copper crushwasher (non-Honda) that is only used one time (photo). When you tighten the oil plug, it crushes the copper making a perfect seal. It is much better than the aluminum washer that is on the Hondas originally.

In a mixture of city / hwy driving, change your oil every 3500 to 4000 miles....Want to do it right? Change the oil every 3750 miles. Do this because every 7500 you have a service interval onyou Honda...Check the service interval section of your owners manual and you will see what I am talking about.

And always use the specified weight...Most late model Hondas Accordstake the 5w20.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/51ED4182319842F6B9DAF0A3DBC2EF66.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/5747AE34F98A4277A6BDF175D1B94E00.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-16-2008, 06:53 PM

ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

Well your friend is not the brightest crayon in the box....by far. If he has 30 years in car buisness and claims Synthetic is junk, I would NEVER let him touch my car or even remotely accept his advice.

There is no way synthetic is junk. If so, why would Nascar, drag racing, and monster truck racing all use synthetic motor oil? Because they are driving hard, and need an oil that wont break down under high heat or wear away their $50k motors or so.

Royal Purple is the best synthetic. But any other oil that is fully synthetic and a common brand will do just fine for normal driving. Synthetic lasts longer, and reduces friction inside your engine. Less friction = less wear, longer life for the oil itself,and better gas mileage and hp.

As for "5K or 4 months? What if you drive 10K in 3 months?" It means 5k or 4 months. Whichever comes first.

I over exagerrated. Not exactly junk but he says its not worth the extra money. And if u r going to use Synthetic then u have to keep it that way.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM

Am I hurting the car by changing every 3K miles?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

ORIGINAL: hondaed

I have always changed the oil every 3500 to 4000 maximum.

I do dis-agree with the granny-driving being a longer term on an oil change...Because Granny always drives slow, never gets on the highway, and only drives short trip intervals; she will put less than 6000 or 7000 miles on her car annually. This is a severedriving condition andsheneeds to have the oil changed in her car at least every 6 months (regardless of the low mileage accumulated on the oil). The reason is because that oil never reaches operating temperature. There is a certain amount of moisture that accumulates in the oil during the internal combustion process and that moisture will not evaporate off if the oil never gets hot. This moisture causes the oil to coagulate (spelling?). That makes sludge.

You can get the filters from a Honda dealer....One secret, if you can find them on the internet, Nippon is one of the OEM for that Honda Filter. At our shop we use a 14mm copper crushwasher (non-Honda) that is only used one time (photo). When you tighten the oil plug, it crushes the copper making a perfect seal. It is much better than the aluminum washer that is on the Hondas originally.

In a mixture of city / hwy driving, change your oil every 3500 to 4000 miles....Want to do it right? Change the oil every 3750 miles. Do this because every 7500 you have a service interval onyou Honda...Check the service interval section of your owners manual and you will see what I am talking about.

And always use the specified weight...Most late model Hondas Accordstake the 5w20.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, Inc.
www.accuratecars.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/51ED4182319842F6B9DAF0A3DBC2EF66.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/5747AE34F98A4277A6BDF175D1B94E00.jpg[/IMG]
GREAT INFORMATION RIGHT THERE that alot of people do not realize.
When I was in high school I drove barely over 1 mile each way, and changed the oil every 2500 miles.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:36 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Am I hurting the car by changing every 3K miles?
In what way could you possibly fathom harming a car by changing the most vital fluid more often?

Old 05-16-2008, 07:55 PM

I would like to add one other thing to the response about oil and leaving it in too long.

I have included a couple of photos of an Acura NSX piston to reference

The bottom groove of the piston is the oil control ring. As the piston moves up and down, this ring set wipes the excess oil from the cylinder wall.

Once these rings wipe the excess oil, it has to go somewhere, so there are small holes in the piston for the oil to escape and drian back into the crankcase.

Overtime, these holes get clogged and the oil has no where to go, so most of it gets to the combustion chamber and is burned.

If you do not change your oil regularly, oil sludge can clog these holes and the heat generated at the piston will cook that oil into these holes. During engine overhauls, we have todrill through these burnt oil deposits.

I have seen engines with over 200,000 miles with these holes as clean as the day the engine was assembled and I have also seen an Accord engine that only had about 30,000 miles, where the owner had not changed the oil EVER and the sludge had completely caked and cooked around this groove.

Yes, he was burning oil.

Ed Brian
Accurate Automotive, inc.
www.accuratecars.com

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/0593C1F9BF744DB7AF2838686C7FAC5B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/16306/FE2AA2C3B2134BFEA254D926E067A3C7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: 5w20 and Oil change