General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5w20 and Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 08:04 PM
Default RE: 5w20 and Oil change

****BUMP****
ORIGINAL: 19Accord97

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

Synthetic is junk according to my friend who has 30 years of experience in the car business. Stick to basics.

Castrol GTX is what he recommends.

5K or 4 months? What if you drive 10K in 3 months?
Well your friend is not the brightest crayon in the box....by far. If he has 30 years in car buisness and claims Synthetic is junk, I would NEVER let him touch my car or even remotely accept his advice.

There is no way synthetic is junk. If so, why would Nascar, drag racing, and monster truck racing all use synthetic motor oil? Because they are driving hard, and need an oil that wont break down under high heat or wear away their $50k motors or so.

Royal Purple is the best synthetic. But any other oil that is fully synthetic and a common brand will do just fine for normal driving. Synthetic lasts longer, and reduces friction inside your engine. Less friction = less wear, longer life for the oil itself,and better gas mileage and hp.

As for "5K or 4 months? What if you drive 10K in 3 months?" It means 5k or 4 months. Whichever comes first.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 PM

ORIGINAL: finch13

ORIGINAL: Accord Owner

Am I hurting the car by changing every 3K miles?
In what way could you possibly fathom harming a car by changing the most vital fluid more often?

I was not sure

Old 05-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Oil and oil filters are almost like politics and religion. Almost everyone has an opinion and there is no consensus.

For what it's worth I've run Mobil 1 Synthetic in two cars since they were new.

My usual daily drive is a 96 Volvo 850 MT with 159k miles on it. Oil consumption has increased to 1qt/1400 or so in the last 20-30k. I change the oil roughly every 5-6k or 5-6 months.

The other vehicle is an 01 Honda Odyssey with 81k miles on it. Oil consumption remains less than a quart between the 5-6k oil changes.

The Odyssey is my wife's car so I cannot validate any improvement in fuel economy from Mobil 1. I believe the Volvo mpg increased about 7-10% after switching to M1. Summer highway is still 31 and summer mixed around 25mpg. Most 850 owners that I know have AT's and use dino oil. The best mpg I've ever heard from them is about 27-28 summer highway.

I can't comment about my Accord yet. I recently purchased an '06 I4 w/ MT. At the next oil change I intend to also use M1 and will for the rest of it's life.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I too use Mobile1 5000, said to last 5k miles on standard ride... I thought i read somewhere (manual???) that it suggested 7500 miles, i could be wrong though....
I change anywhere between 3k and 4k miles...

The suggested for my car is 5w20, but i use 5w30...

Just so you know, these viscosity ratings are to represent viscosity grades (converted from centistrokes) at cool and warm temperatures...

in laymen terms, 5 is for cold, 30 is for warm... I wanted a higher viscosity because i could hear light knocking and had more engine vibration (even when i tried premium gas) than i cared for.

5w30 won't hurt anything, but don't try any 0 graded stuff in our (or really hardly ANY) cars...

Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM

From my research. For most of our common daily driver applications, regular dino oil is just fine. Synthetic may be a waste of money. I use MaxLife Syn Blend because it is good oil and it is cheap ($12 for 5 quarts at Walmart). I didn't even realize it was syn blend till about my 3rd DIY oil change haha.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I just wanted to point out a few things:

1) Royal Purple - I too used to think that it is the best oil made. It does have some excellent properties, but over time, it can cause a graphite build-up that can cause engine damage.

2) Oil return ports - If you run a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil for about 1000 miles once a year, these will get cleaned out.

3) Engine Flush - Do this once a year maximum. Best time is following the 1000 miles with the MMO.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:43 AM

Castrol GTX recommends using the high mileage after 75K, is that ok?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 PM

You did not say in the original post what year your Accord is. Do you have an oil life monitor? If so, watch the oil life levels and change at the 20% or 30% rating. If you're going to change your oil every 3K to 5K miles, one of the best oils and best price performance oils is the Motorcraft 5w20. It's a semi-synthetic and has received rave reviews on Bob's the Oil Guy forums from users. One of the member's companies ran a test on a number of oils and they found that this oil was the best of the semi-synthetics. You can find it at Walmart everyday for under $11K for 5 quarts. Top filters include Pure1 and Wix/Napa Gold, about $5 to $6.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 07-06-2008, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: jackkpts

You did not say in the original post what year your Accord is. Do you have an oil life monitor? If so, watch the oil life levels and change at the 20% or 30% rating. If you're going to change your oil every 3K to 5K miles, one of the best oils and best price performance oils is the Motorcraft 5w20. It's a semi-synthetic and has received rave reviews on Bob's the Oil Guy forums from users. One of the member's companies ran a test on a number of oils and they found that this oil was the best of the semi-synthetics. You can find it at Walmart everyday for under $11K for 5 quarts. Top filters include Pure1 and Wix/Napa Gold, about $5 to $6.
[align=left][/align]
2005. No oil life meter.

Old 05-24-2011, 03:34 PM

Is Honda's oil better then the Castrol GTX? The Honda oil is more expensive. Is it worth the money to buy Honda's oil?

Quick Reply: 5w20 and Oil change